Walsall Wheels Steering wheel horn push required

Good day,

Car came with Steering wheel but no horn push. It has the horn pencil fitted.

Markings on wheel show made by "Walsall Wheels Ltd" and has a LL logo on bottom spoke. See photos. Nice looking wheel so I wish to use it.

Internet search show made in '60s and distributed by Les Leston company. Fabulous source of info is the internet. Except where to get a horn push for it.

Anybody have one ?? Or do the currently offerred Tourist Trophy or Moto-lita pushes fit?

Any help gratefully received

David B

LL logo.jpg

WW name.jpg

Steering wheel.jpg

I can't see anywhere for the horn push "pencil" to pass through the hub onto the slip ring on the steering column or is it the thing at 12 o'clock in the picture?  A Moto Lita push won't fit and neither will the standard Triumph item.

Peejay, 

yes, pencil is at 12 o’clock and passes through to the slip ring. The two screws at 3 and 9 o’clock only go into the steering wheel aluminium, not the column boss, and I therefore presume are the fixings for the horn push whatever that looks like.  

I can find lots of pickies of Walsall Wheels/Les Leston steering wheels plus interesting history and even wheels for sale identical to mine but none show the horn push and only wheels are for sale so am still struggling. 

Help still required. If anybody out their has a WW/LL wheel fitted like mine (surely I can’t be the only one) I would be very grateful for assistance by way of photos so I can see what I might fabricate . Thanks. 

David B

David:

I have installed one on an MGB in the past and they are very nice wheels. I have another NOS Les Leston wheel which I was intending to install on my TR4A but the my wheel has 6 bolt holes and doesn't fit the hub, whereas I believe yours with four holes will. There is an ebay listing here in the States for a Herald hub  and the all important top half which is attached to the wheel with the two set screws on either side of the center hole. I believe that a standard Triumph TR4/Herald horn push button then fits into this ring. I believe that the hub arrangement is the same for the TR4, Spitfire, and the Herald

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LES-LESTON-Grand-Prix-HERALD-STEERING-WHEEL-HUB-PARTS-KIT-Walsall-Wheels-/303129320028?oid=303083682236

Edited by Andy303

Hi David 

I have a Les Leston wheel by Walsall Wheels fitted to my TR4a. It’s an attractive accessory I think.  I was fortunate enough to buy it with the column boss,  horn shroud and  horn push.

There is also a copper tag which fits inside the shroud to earth the horn push connection to the wheel. I utilised the original horn push shaft which is not long enough but you will have to cut in half another shaft using the plastic insulator as an extension tube as it is that much longer to earth down to the horn ring.

I used the standard TRiumph TR4a horn push though mine came with a plain black horn push which I didn’t use. If you need any help on the horn push arrangement let me know. Photo attached.

Kevin

A84B90D5-F3F9-49E9-BD82-945F458ED5D6.jpeg

Edited by boxofbits

Andy, your response is of huge help. Now seen what I’m looking for and how they were sold. The 4 hole version and as the TR4 horn push fits the upper part of the kit that’s the part I want. 

I then amended my search for a Les Leston hub kit ( not just a horn push) but they seem rare. Hens teeth comes to mind. Only the source in NY that you direct me to.  Anyway will ponder that one.  Thanks again, will keep you posted.

Kevin, now seen your post.  Looks good. Gives me an idea of what to make if I go that route. I note your comment re pencil length but I see that the TR6 has a pencil (142534X) that is longer than standard and cutting one down to suit may be the way to go. Two questions of detail.

1. Earthing. Is your shroud plastic as having seen pictures of the underside of the TR horn push wouldn’t an aluminium one earth directly via the brass clip on the side of the TR horn push ??

2. Slight puzzle is that the ‘horn shroud’ on your photo seems much taller than on the LL herald model as see on link directed by Andy.  Maybe a flatter shroud wouldn’t need a longer horn pencil. Is that styling or is their a technical reason for it ?

And now really pushing it. Any chance of you flipping off the horn push and posting photos of the innards. Don’t if it may mark the plastics as I know that parts that clip together can be a problem in disassembling.

thanks again both. Huge help.

David B

Edited by David B2
text removal

Hi David

The shroud is plastic secured by two screws which then secure it to the wheel. The shroud has a cut-out on its depth allowing a flat brass earthing strip to be fitted from the horn push connection to the wheel surface.

Its possible there is a dumpier shroud but I haven’t seen one. 

I’ll post some photos of the horn push arrangement and pencil possibly over the weekend but as you say if a shallower shroud is used you might not need the extension.

Regards

Kevin

Many thanks Kevin.

I’ve seen a picture of a shallower shroud and it’s horn push that were both polished aluminium (on a Ferrari wheel) that prompted my query and set me on the route to have an aluminium shroud made.  

I have a horn push coming in tomorrow from Moss and although I have a PM response showing some detail of a LesLeston shroud I would still be interested in the photos of the electrical connections inside yours. Also the horn push will give me the info I need for the depth as I currently plan to not use the 3 pronged earth clip if I use aluminium for the shroud.

Many thanks, David B

On 25 April 2019 at 6:25 PM, David B2 said:

Many thanks Kevin.

I’ve seen a picture of a shallower shroud and it’s horn push that were both polished aluminium (on a Ferrari wheel) that prompted my query and set me on the route to have an aluminium shroud made.  

I have a horn push coming in tomorrow from Moss and although I have a PM response showing some detail of a LesLeston shroud I would still be interested in the photos of the electrical connections inside yours. Also the horn push will give me the info I need for the depth as I currently plan to not use the 3 pronged earth clip if I use aluminium for the shroud.

Many thanks, David B

Hi David

Apologies in delay getting back to you.

Below are the pics of the horn set up for the Les Leston wheel. I've not pulled the horn contact pencil out, though as it is longer I cut the outer tube of an old one, and used part of another inner to extend the pencil to reach the horn contact ring. Maybe a TR6 one will fit in one piece I don't know.

You'll see the copper or brass flat earthing strip which goes from the push, down a cut out channel in the shroud to Earth on the steering wheel hub- easy to make up, and a standard horn push. As can be seen the shroud is held by two domed screws. Hope this helps.

Kevin

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by boxofbits

Kevin, and Richard with his PMs of dimensions,

Thanks for photos and for your time taken to disassemble and take them. Trust no damage done to fittings. Very useful seeing how the earthing is done. Thanks.

Since receiving the horn push from Moss I mocked up a shroud making a zinc baseplate and found a piece of mini guttering downpipe that was exact size as the central core.  The horn push snapped in exactly to the pipe bore and the side earthing spring held it in place. The standard pencil is proud of the LL domed rivets and allowed the live terminal of the horn push to make contact with pencil with the core made to a 0.700" height. Mock up went so well that I decided to smarten up the external and found a suitable yogurt pot as a mould and filled with resin body filler.  Bit of refilling and painting plus hard wiring from the side earth spring to the ear fixing with a ring terminal. Job done, it worked and is quite robust. It will do me so aluminium version is cancelled. 

Photos of parts, wired and finished article.  Thanks again. David B

wheel.jpg

wired.jpg

three parts.jpg