Looking for TR2 or 3? XVA 888

Hi.

I was gifted a painting of a TR2 or 3 plate XVA888 as it drove on devils elbow, rest and be thankful hill climb1964. It was gifted to me by Mary Walker who was the driver. Have been googling lots and have found her winning in a TR2 with the reg OWK888. She also raced Monte Carlo in 1954. I hope to find the car and gift the painting back to its owner.

Can anyone help me find the car? Is it just coincidence that both have 888 or was there a chance its the same car? I don't know enough about the sport sorry. Any help would be fantastic or even just some education...

Philip Muir

Philip

i think you should contact Wayne Scott at the TR Register office. 

I am sure he would consider this story for the TRaction club magazine. It will then go to over 6000 members world wide.

H

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/contact

Hello Philip, I met Mary Walker twice, and wrote up her exploits in my 1995 book Triumph by Name, Triumph by Nature. I also have an unseen video interview I did with her in 1998.  You won't find her, as sadly she died about 6 years ago. She came from Northumberland but went to live in Bearsden, Glasgow when she married a Scottish doctor and became Mary Frazer. It was whilst she was single that she rallied extensively and successfully, almost always in TRs, in the 1954-1964 period. Her cars always had 888 number plates. OWK 888 was a very early TR2, and her second TR2 was JJR 888. VWA 888 (Lanark registered) was her 3A......I'm not sure if she ever had a TR3...she didn;'t mention one.

VWA 888 is still shown on the dvla website as existing, but long term off the road, so it is out there somewhere, but they won't tell you where...….When did you receive the picture from her? She must have been a generous lady, as she gave me her two RAC rally finisher's medals, for 1954 and 1955, which are still in my office......Bill Piggott

Dear Bill.

fantastic. Thank you for the information. I’d be interested in seeing the interview if it’s possible?

As a 19 year old in 1988, I worked and lived in Langbank. My employer was chief George Macmillan. The estate was Finlystone House. I was lucky enough to live in the house. 

Mary lived near by in Bishipton. She was a regular visitor to the house. I have chatted briefly with George Macmillan and he confirms it was her and where she lived.

i just loved her stories. I have recollections of her and hot air balloons. Maybe not.

Anyway. She gave me the painting and I forgot about it until now when I unpacked a box that has been in storage since just after I got it.

It would follow that the car was hers as she had the 888 plates but I have no proof as of yet. It is the xva 888 car I am looking for. How did she get the 888 plates so many times I wonder? 

I will see if I can find your book.

i will report back any info I uncover. 

The painting should be somewhere it’s appreciated so I will keep looking.

Thank you!

Philip Muir 

Edited by Philip Muir

Hi Stan. Happy to.

I was 19 in 1988 and working at Finlystone House in Langbank, Glasgow. Mary Walker lived nearby and was a regular visitor to the estate but the owners who I recently contacted did not know why.

she often spoke of her racing day and gifted me the painting as you see it though it was in a frame by the looks of it.

i hope to find the owner of the car so that I can gift it on or find a club or enthusiast where the painting will be treasured.

thanks

philip 

Hello again Philip, Mary certainly lived in a grand house in Bearsden when I visited her in 1998 to interview her. Her husband had a GIANT model railway in the attic that I was shown....wonder what happened to all that?   She had no offspring as far as I am aware.   She was able always to get 888 numbers as I seem to recall that her father was in the motor trade, which was how, she told me, she was able to get one of the earliest TR2s at a time of shortage and use it in the March 54 RAC Rally.

The interview is still unedited 20 years later....your posts prompt me to get this done and put onto dvd from the vhs where it sits....will let you know when I get round to it !  Bill P.

I would hang onto it for now Philip. By posting here you will be sure that anyone using Google in the future to search for XVA 888 will end up here. If you have to find a home for it sooner rather than later I'm sure we can find a caretaker or perhaps the TR Register Office can help.

Also did you follow up with Rogers suggestion and contact the sidescreen registrar, Mike Ellis. He will have records for all the TR2's and TR3's that have passed through the TR Register. PM through the forum or email to tr2-3registrar@tr-register.co.uk

Stan

Edited by foster461

Hello Everyone,

I am currently restoring a 1958 TR3A, registration number TFS 888, which I think was an Edinburgh registration.

The build document shows that the car was delivered to 'Rossleigh' - I think they were Triumph Dealers in Edinburgh and Dundee.

I wonder if the Scottish 888 number, Mary had any connection with this car?

Rupert

18 minutes ago, Rupert Bayer said:

Hello Everyone,

I am currently restoring a 1958 TR3A, registration number TFS 888, which I think was an Edinburgh registration.

The build document shows that the car was delivered to 'Rossleigh' - I think they were Triumph Dealers in Edinburgh and Dundee.

I wonder if the Scottish 888 number, Mary had any connection with this car?

Rupert

Hi Rupert and welcome to the forum. I recall that the SF suffix was Scotland and FS Lincoln.  How is your TR3A project going ?

Stan

8 hours ago, foster461 said:

Hi Rupert and welcome to the forum. I recall that the SF suffix was Scotland and FS Lincoln.  How is your TR3A project going ?

Stan 

Thank you Stan. I've just checked the TFS888 registration and in 1958 the last two letters FS was issued by Edinburgh. Any plate with S in the last two letters pre-2001 was generally Scottish. I understand that Lincoln's use of FS was from 2001.

The restoration is progressing, around 80% done but time has been a problem - I hope to finish this year and am looking forward to enjoying the fruits . . . 

Rupert

Wow, thank you for all your help. I did indeed make contact with Mike and the car was registered 25 years ago but is no longer.

The DVLA will under no circumstance send any communication to the owner. Shame.

Somehow we need to encourage Mr Piggot to finish his documentary!

As to TFS888, who knows? there are only so many cars one lady can own! Fro what I gather the father was able to ensure a supply of 888 plates so it is possible.

As to the painting, it can sit here unless a place can be found for it. Since there is no family I'd be happy to see it in the right club or collection, all her trophies went to auction in 2016 and sold so someone out there collects her memorabilia.  

She was an interesting character and worthy of remembrance.

Thanks

Edited by Philip Muir
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 11:25 PM, Philip Muir said:

FYI.

the painting has now found a new home. The son of the artist. Bob Henderson was a famous photographer who also painted. His son has started a collection of his fathers work. Google the bob Henderson collection for more.

Do you have a link Philip ?. I'm getting a lot of hits from Google and none of them look like what I was expecting..

Stan