INDICATOR RELAY WIRING FOR HAZARD SWITCH ON TR4

Hi All,

I am soon going to attempt to wire in a hazard switch to my 1964 TR4.  Then wiring to the existing old-looking relay is confusing as it doesn't match up to a wiring diagram. I attach photos of the current relay comprising 2 double spade connections stamped "B" and "I" with a rivet stamped "E". On the two "B" spades are a single dark green, and a light green and dark green wire fixed together. On one of the "I" spades is a green/black wire.  The stamp is definitely "I" , not "L".

On the relay supplied in the hazard kit you will see 2 terminals stamped "B" and "L". "B" has a green/red wire, and "L" a purple wire.

With the double spade set up on the non-hazard relay, I assume a piggyback spade is required. Do I attach the "I" connection on the current unit to the "L" on the new relay? 

Which is correct - the new hazard relay replaces the current flasher unit, OR the hazard relay is an extra unit requiring the existing unit to remain in place?

I hope this makes sense!          Best wishes    Willie

9d. Existing flasher relay - edited.JPG

10. Relay in kit.JPG

To me the first item in the photos looks like a battery voltage stabiliser in the footwell that sends 10 volts to the instruments and is not a flasher relay.

I would have expected to find the flasher relay under the bonnet and having 3 terminals.

Peter W

The photo IS of the instruments voltage stabilser.  The I is for instruments, B is for battery, E is for earth.

I think you need rather more than the supplied relay to do the job.  by the way green / red wire is the connection to left indicator bulbs, Purple is a fused line (not passing through the ammeter) to the horns. I would not expect to be using that for hazards.

Bob

Edited by Lebro

The flasher unit for a TR4 is up in the top left front of the left hand footwell, When fitting hazards you would need to include another relay in addition.

Stuart.

Wow, All, very many thanks! Wiring is my weak point as you have probably noticed!  I attach the instructions for the unit which I purchased from TSSC where I am also a member.

I'll look at it tomorrow as the fine Chianti I am consuming may affect my judgement and certainly won't improve my wiring knowledge!!].

Best wishes     Willie

Hazard switch instructions.jpg

Hello Willie,

Don’t know exactly where you are in Hereford, but I’m just down the road from “The Starting Gate” on the Roman Road. I’ve seen a 4 going past occasionally, so it may be you.

I’ve worked with electricity most of my life, so I may be able to help.

Give me a PM if you are stuck and we can arrange a meet.

Charlie.

Willie - that looks like the Lucas after-market kit.  In TR Action 132 (August 1996), I described the fitting of this unit to my TR4, and I included wiring instructions for TR3/3 and for TR5/6.  The article is in the Technicalities CD, section J9.

If you can't get hold of either TR Action or the CD, send me a PM with your email address, and I'll send you a copy in MS Word.

Ian Cornish

Hi Charlie.  See my status pic for the car - signal red, wire wheels, surrey top. I normally use my brother for electricals. I don't have a multimeter - no point!!

Willie

Edited by Willie
12 hours ago, ianc said:

Willie - that looks like the Lucas after-market kit.  In TR Action 132 (August 1996), I described the fitting of this unit to my TR4, and I included wiring instructions for TR3/3 and for TR5/6.  The article is in the Technicalities CD, section J9.

If you can't get hold of either TR Action or the CD, send me a PM with your email address, and I'll send you a copy in MS Word.

Ian Cornish

Thanks very much, Ian. 

Best wishes    Willie

Edited by Willie

Hi Willie,

I’ve recently fitted that exact unit and to my utter astonishment, it worked. I found the instructions a little confusing but mostly because I couldn’t understand why I needed 2 flasher units. Once I got my head around that, it all fell into place.

Good luck

Richard

Thanks Richard. As you will have seen in the Forum exchanges, I thought the voltage reg was the flasher relay!! Embarrassing, but that's why the Forum is so good. Worth being a TRR member just for that privilege.  Must do some further squirming in the other footwell - hurrah - no steering wheel!!

Best wishes    Willie

I have sent Willie a copy of my article and have suggested that he edit his post to remove his email address.

The normal flasher unit contains a bimetallic strip and is set so as to flash at the correct rate when driving a pair of trafficators (i.e. front and rear on one side of the car). If one of these bulbs fails, it flashes more slowly, but if 4 bulbs were driven, it would flash very rapidly because the bimetallic strip would heat more rapidly.  The flasher unit inside the hazard unit is set to drive 4 bulbs at the correct rate.

Ian Cornish

26 minutes ago, Willie said:

Many thanks Peter. I've been overwhelmed by the fantastic info I have been sent from several people.  Here is an annoted doc showing where I eventually found the relay [I think]!

Best wishes to All    Willie

LOCATION OF FLASHER RELAY.docx 333.25 kB · 2 downloads

Thats not the standard location for the flasher, it would be top left front of the passenger foot well and had a metal cup to sit it in.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. I figured that was the case. Pity it makes such an awkward job. I'll see whether or not I can/will relocate it when I decide to install the hazard switch. Car out and about this weekend, but I'll get round to it!!

best wishes     Willie

Gentlemen,

Would any of the above change if LED indicator bulbs are fitted? In the Lucas unit referred to there is a relay, does this have to be changed?

Graham

3 hours ago, Grahamgl said:

Gentlemen,

Would any of the above change if LED indicator bulbs are fitted? In the Lucas unit referred to there is a relay, does this have to be changed?

Graham

Yes it will need a LED suitable flasher relay.  

AES Offers two kits. One suitable for LED. https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/406/category/43

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Just to put in my twopenny worth -

If you are fitting LED indicator bulbs, then yes you will need an LED compatible flasher unit. These are different to "normal" ones because they don't care how much current is being passed through them (up to a limit of course !) so don't care if on bulb fails, or if you attach a trailer board, or if you switch Left & right together -thus generating Hazards.

So, fit LED bulbs, fit LED flasher unit   recommend this one:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/indicator-relays-electronic/products/12v-electronic-indicator-flasher-relay-classic-car-with-oe-click-x-l-p-2-3-pin

Select -ve or +ve earth as required.   then wire in a simple switch to:

A) join the two sides together, & also to the flasher unit bypassing the indicator switch, &

B) supply direct 12volts to the flasher unit instead of via IGN switch.

This requires a minimum of wiring changes, & is how I have done mine

1397421702_HazardWiring.thumb.jpg.3e01530241b7d8915744168b79886259.jpg

Bob

I made a “Quick and dirty” version of what Bob said to add hazards to my standard (non-LED) bulb flashers. I just replaced the standard flasher unit with a DURITE 0-606-00 flasher unit and put a single make switch between the left and right indicator wires.

OK, to get the hazards to work you first have to indicate left or right to get power to one of the sides, but when you flick the hazard switch you get power to both, and the 0-606-00 has no problem with that.

Well…

Not a very elegant solution, but as I said… quick and dirty. (and it works.)

Charlie.