Registering an Imported TR

Just wanted to advertise the brilliant service of the TR Register, and particularly Graham, who was able to make the application to DVLA on my behalf. It all happened in 2 weeks and I can now really enjoy the bank holiday weekend!

Thanks,

Colin

0_20190418_181649.jpg

That looks a really sweet car, enjoy the great weather this weekend 

colin

thank you for the posting , the register is happy help with any TR Owners application both V765 recovery of a lost registration or a  V5/55 application to register a imported vehicle .

contact me on the below 

v765@tr-register.co.uk

graham

I didn’t realize that we could do it in the club, how does that work for an imported into the uk tr6 but about to start a restoration in France?Do I need to pay mileage and lots of wine for graham to come and look at it?

Ah shame that, but I understand completely thanks graham. But the offer still stands for a visit.

• 1 year later...

This is the first time I have used this club's forum so hear goes!

Ive just bought TS21624L, reputedly one of the last Tr3s with disc brakes and first registered  4/9/57.  It was imported to the UK by the Northern TR Centre who paid the import duty, then sold unregistered in 1992 to my previous owner.  The car is still unregistered, and my first look through the advice from DVLA suggests I can't register the car and obtain a period registration number until the car is finished and on the road.  Is that right?   I note the above praise for 'Graham' of the TR register with regard to the V55/5 process and wonder what advice he might have?  Tony  (Member 6797)

IMG_0692.JPG

Well Tony,

A very warm welcome, you've done the hardest bit and made the first post, and got a photo in as well! took me ages to do that.

Graham will be along to advise soon I'm sure, he is THE man for this.

Secondly, Northern TR Centre, wow that does bring back memories, bought my TR 4 there 27/28 years ago, Geoff and Sheila Very Nice Folk.

John.

Last year I registered a 1949 Land Rover. I did it through the series 1 Land Rover club. The vehilce had to be complete and you have to have signed photos. Do it through the register when you have finished it, that way its quite painless.

Edited by Phil Read

Hi Tony,

Provided you send off everything required to accompany the V55/5 form, you can get a registration number without the vehicle having an MOT. That's what I did when I registered my ex-US TR6 two years ago.

US registration docs (pink slip)
NOVA registration paper work
Insurance certificate (can get it insured on the chassis number)
Bill of sale
Photocopy of drivers license
Cheque for £55

Don’t fill in too much on the V55/5. I confined my application to boxes 2,3,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,18,27,29,30,31,32,33,45. More than that isn’t required to register a historic vehicle and just confuses them.

Annoyingly, despite me also sending a copy of the car's heritage certificate from Gaydon that states the car was built in December 1971 (and should therefore be on a K-plate), because the US pink slip said the car was a '73, that's the year DVLA registered it as! Hey, ho.

Matt

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum. Rather than wait for Graham to spot your post, why not drop him an email to v765@tr-register.co.uk

He will help you.

Mick

9 hours ago, matt george said:

Hi Tony,

Provided you send off everything required to accompany the V55/5 form, you can get a registration number without the vehicle having an MOT. That's what I did when I registered my ex-US TR6 two years ago.

US registration docs (pink slip)
NOVA registration paper work
Insurance certificate (can get it insured on the chassis number)
Bill of sale
Photocopy of drivers license
Cheque for £55

Don’t fill in too much on the V55/5. I confined my application to boxes 2,3,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,18,27,29,30,31,32,33,45. More than that isn’t required to register a historic vehicle and just confuses them.

Annoyingly, despite me also sending a copy of the car's heritage certificate from Gaydon that states the car was built in December 1971 (and should therefore be on a K-plate), because the US pink slip said the car was a '73, that's the year DVLA registered it as! Hey, ho.

Matt

I've registered 2 TR6's in the past 12 months. Neither were insured.

Everybody 

as said above you can do the V5/55 application yourself if you have all the correct paperwork  it’s a US car and it hits the right desk at the DVLA , you can be lucky , however they very frequently now return 1st application asking for authorised club support , my email is below for any tr owner that needs help

graham

v765@tr-register.co.uk

On 5/1/2020 at 8:21 PM, mtrehy said:

I've registered 2 TR6's in the past 12 months. Neither were insured.

mtrehy – fair enough. I was just stating how I got through the process. As noted by Derek, I may have just been lucky to get a reg number at the first time of asking, but didn't see the harm in sending off as much info on the car as possible.

Matt

Edited by matt george

Hi everyone.  

Apologies for not replying till today  but I've got lost several times within the FORUM.  It was the third time of trying  last week that I realise I have been 'here' before, and (ridiculously) given myself a name tag associated with my real first post -  about new or refurbished distributors!   I had completely forgotten I'd asked that question - and  - did get mine rebuilt by Martin Jay and its working just perfectly. 

Anyway.  Many thanks to you all for your tips and advice about registering an import.  This shall be done, hopefully with the build date not the incorrect import certificate date (thanks for tip, Matt) and I'll get in touch directly with 'tr Graham the guru' in due course (Thanks Mick, Graham.)

Because the car will be registered as Historic,  and so exempt from an MOT etc.,  do any of you know if I can apply NOW before I have completed the rebuild?  Or like a younger vehicle, will I need to demonstrate the car's existence by showing it finished /drivable / other?  There's no problem with getting a mock MOT, but with no registration number?

Tony 

10 hours ago, InfinityJon said:

How? I got my application declined because I had started the restoration and the inspector said it needed to be complete. 

Nothing out of the ordinary, filled in the V55/5, sent it off, received V5 within a couple of weeks. Same for 2 TR6's, both within last 12 months. I kept a scan of the documents I sent and the completed form which I am happy to email you if it helps.

How did they even know you were restoring the cars? I don't recall anywhere needing to state whether the cars were currently roadworthy, not roadworthy etc.??? 

37 minutes ago, mtrehy said:

Nothing out of the ordinary, filled in the V55/5, sent it off, received V5 within a couple of weeks. Same for 2 TR6's, both within last 12 months. I kept a scan of the documents I sent and the completed form which I am happy to email you if it helps.

How did they even know you were restoring the cars? I don't recall anywhere needing to state whether the cars were currently roadworthy, not roadworthy etc.??? 

I did the same – filled in the V55/5, sent it off and received a V5 relatively quickly. Was in the middle of restoring the car, but that shouldn't make any odds.

Seems like it depends on who picks up your application at DVLA and their interpretation of the requirements. Did someone come and inspect your car, Jon?

Matt

I think the answer to this is that vehicle must be "complete" in order for the DVLA to give a registration. Not necessarily running, but a complete vehicle.

Some applications, they just pass and issue a registration as long as the paperwork is complete, but if you're unlucky enough to be picked for an inspection and the vehicle is not complete then it will not pass.

If you have evidence as to the date of manufacture and ideally details of the vehicle's last overseas registration, so that they can easily verify the dates applying to the vehicle then they may well pass it without an inspection.

I have recently registered my imported 1976 Triumph Bonneville without an inspection. They did come back to me by email to question the date of manufacture but I was able to satisfy them as the Engine/VIN number on triumph motorcycles relates specifically to months and years.

Insurance is only required if an MOT is required - to get it to the MOT station - but if it's >40 years old then neither is necessary for the process. You should state this on the V55/5.

HTH

Sean