Found an abandoned 1979 rally car...

Hi everyone, during a recent urban exploration I found a V-reg, 1979, TR8 rally car in derelict warehouse. It's half under cover, but the light falling on it is coming from a hole in the roof above, so is open to the elements... the dust and flat tyres suggest it's been here some years. I know nothing at all about cars, but this thing looks pretty cool. It's missing the seats inside, I didn't look under the bonnet... but I'm guessing there's still an engine under there. I'm figuring this would run to many thousands to return to immaculate condition, but is it worth much in it's current state? Is it the kind of thing people would be interested in as a project? ...not that I'm thinking of taking it home with me, I'm more curious about who left it here.

image3.jpeg

5 minutes ago, boxofbits said:

Huge pile of slicks and treaded tyres in the background .Does it have a registration number?

Kevin

Yeah, and that's only some of the tyres! I can see why it might have all been abandoned, major headache for someone to have to get rid of all the stuff in there. Only one plate on the front, and that's broken - begins VAB 7-xxx

1 hour ago, boxofbits said:

Huge pile of slicks and treaded tyres in the background .Does it have a registration number?

Kevin

Given where it is in amongst these rally tyres I would check out the sponsor sticker on the side could be their car or you could trace the rally series it was in. 

I very interesting find, any v8 will have people wanting to bring it back to life

DB560724-D07D-4A01-91DC-29C237173D44.jpeg

I would love to find something like this and get it cheap.

Judging by the rust we can see, its a major project and 7 prices are not that high yet so a total rebuild doesn't make a lot of financial sense.

Reworking it to a competition car is probably easier but there isn't great demand.

Certainly a project but i guess the value is mainly for spares - and as a competion car there probably isn't a lot of original detail parts that can be striped.

It would be a shame to loose another hard top to scrap though. There numbers on the road were dwindling so its prime for a comeback on rarety value.

7 hours ago, Melcoagain said:

It would be a shame to loose another hard top to scrap though. There numbers on the road were dwindling so its prime for a comeback on rarety value.

Prices are certainly rising, going by this local one, which has been reduced by £1000 in the last month.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273806278463?ul_noapp=true