Where and how was the jack stowed?

The owners manual is vague.. store the spare wheel and the tools in the luggage compartment.. My 1974 TR6 has a leather strap in the rear left corner of the spare tire compartment that I'm pretty sure was where the jack was secured. My spare wheel compartment is full of spare parts so the jack is just stuffed where there is space for it.

Stan

Hi Ed,

I have a 73 tr6 and mine is the same , leather strap in the same position secured to the floor, which I always presumed was for the jack.

rgds  Dave

IMG_0753.JPG

Edited by cubehopper
add photo

I've often wondered too!.... There must be someone thats into the conkers thing :-) where everything is perfect as left the factory that has a pic they could post?

Thanks, Guys.  I did run across some info indicating that the leather strap was to secure the tool roll.  My strap is gone, so I can't try it, but I'm not sure it was long enough for the tool roll AND the jack and crank handle.

Ed

Bill Piggott gets so close to the answer...

I had always heard that the leather boot strap was to secure the spoke wheel knockoff hammer, but I'm not certain that is correct, though possible.

DSCF1166.JPG

DSCF1165.JPG

DSCF1164.JPG

8 hours ago, ed_h said:

Thanks, Guys.  I did run across some info indicating that the leather strap was to secure the tool roll.  My strap is gone, so I can't try it, but I'm not sure it was long enough for the tool roll AND the jack and crank handle.

Ed

Ed, you are right the tool roll was strapped into place by the leather strap. The jack was stored in the spare wheel well and closed around the butterfly wing nut so that it did not rattle around in the spare wheel well. The jack handle was stored underneath the spare wheel, this is how my car was delivered in 1973 direct from BL!

Bruce.

Thanks, Bruce.  That seems logical.  A clarification, though--You say the jack was closed on the spare wing nut, so I'm assuming the spare is stowed outside up with the wing nut, then the jack is closed on the nut on top of the wheel?  Or should the spare be outside down?

Ed

7 hours ago, ed_h said:

Thanks, Bruce.  That seems logical.  A clarification, though--You say the jack was closed on the spare wing nut, so I'm assuming the spare is stowed outside up with the wing nut, then the jack is closed on the nut on top of the wheel?  Or should the spare be outside down?

Ed

Hi Ed! The spare is stored with the inside wheel well facing upwards so that once you have fixed the jack in position, you can use the spare area to store, other items like spares and the floor lid stops items from jumping out.

Bruce.

The parts book provides the answer for the function of the strap in that the description says "strap for tool stowage". Part no incidentally for the strap is 611760 and for those interested in getting a new old stock one there is a seller on eBay who has a number of them.

cheers

Derek 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-TR4-TR5-TR6-STRAP-FOR-TOOL-ROLL-NEW-ORIGINAL-NOS-Stanpart-611760/292994610055?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

18 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Ed, you are right the tool roll was strapped into place by the leather strap. The jack was stored in the spare wheel well and closed around the butterfly wing nut so that it did not rattle around in the spare wheel well. The jack handle was stored underneath the spare wheel, this is how my car was delivered in 1973 direct from BL!

Bruce.

Nah!...Tool Roll is 10 & a half inches long and with all the Original Tools in it it's too long, and too fat, to fit in the area...let alone be secured by the Strap!

DSCN9285.JPG

DSCN9286.JPG