tr4a rebuilt engine knocking

hi I have rebuilt my tr4a engine all machined or replaced.

started it after getting oil pressure up and it sounds like some one is constantly 

hitting the sump with a screwdriver. is there an obvious must do I have missed. 

I have built several engines in the past although not wet liner ones, but did check 

liner heights before fitting pistons. any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks, Dan

That sounds like an end float problem and the crank is hitting a journal, DON'T run it anymore.

Drop the sump and check the endfloat, at the same time do what Rich suggests, you can remove the tin plate which is on the bottom quarter of the gearbox sealing it off from pebbles etc. The "flange" on the tin plate has to point towards the front of the car, if you have it the wrong way round it makes a god awful din as the flywheel tries to carry out a bit of machining on the tin flange which sticks into the bell housing, it gets worse when you depress the clutch.

Mick Richards

Hi, As an update I have taken the cover plate off and run the engine and still the same noise unfortunately. I also put a lever on the front pulley to check for excessive end float and it seems ok. I haven't tried localising the noise with a screwdriver yet. The cam followers went in well and seemed quite free when fitted. Should I think about dropping the sump and removing the head to investigate?  thanks , Dan

I think going back to my posting above may pay you off Dan, somebody hitting the sump with a hammer shouldn't be ignored ! and having a look inside there will allow you to see any "witness" bright marks if anything is contacting something else. You can even get a friend to turn the engine over slowly with a socket on the crankshaft nose whilst you lay underneath (with a hat, face mask and goggles on) look out for drips.

Mick Richards