Metal ring on TR6 steering column

Hi All

I am in the process of replacing the loom on my TR6 and whilst in there I'm sorting out a few other bits.

My steering column has always twisted slightly and it has been annoying me so I decided to replace all the felt and the clip on the brackets.

Once I'd stripped it down I found an odd metal ring that fits round the column - see picture.

It's approx 17mm wide x 2mm thick and goes around the column about 75% of the way. It is loose and moves round and forward and backward but not easily. I can't see this thing anywhere on the Moss website.

Can anyone shed any light onto this about what it is/does and where it should go?

Roger

IMG_3979_sml.jpg

Hi,

I have never seen this and can not realize it's sence.

But - on your assably the spring inside the bracket is missing that makes the tube fitting tight.

I myself added a strip of tin steel to avoid damages from the spring on the aluminium tube. That's tight!. 

See here

Ciao Marco

Edited by Z320

Hi Marco 

The spring was there inside the bracket and there was felt underneath it and top and bottom of the front bracket. The felt was very compressed so I’m replacing all that with a new and a new spring clip. 

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen this post, my car also had the same ring spoke to TRGB and they have only ever seen a couple of cars with this fitted, it goes under the the top half of the bulkhead bracket, Put mine back, also added the rare strut at the top of the steering column which fixes to the bulkhead, made it from a steel tube.

Rob

Edited by Robert Price