Surrey Top back light glazing rubber replacement

Hi there. Could someone please advise me about how easy or difficult it would be for me to replace the Surrey Top back light glazing rubber and chromed finisher? I can see that the parts are available from Moss. Many thanks.

Hi Denis,

have you ever fitted a front screen. This is easy by comparison to the rear.

It is not rocket science but you need to know what you are doing.

The Moss rubber for the front screen is the one to have - not sure about the surrey screen.

Roger

The Moss rubber is the better one for the rear screen but as Roger says its really not easy to fit due to the curve. You will find the rubber seems to be too long, this is correct and the excess needs to be there so it will go right down into the lower front corners correctly. If you have an original toughened screen then its a little easier as they will stand a lot of the pushing and shoving that is required, the new laminated ones dont like any of that!

Stuart.

Thanks Roger and Stuart! The reason I ask is a TR5 I'm keen on has a perished Surrey Top glazing rubber. I'll check what sort of back light it has. 

Hi Guys,

As always the perennial question, finishing trim with clip, in place around the rubber and glass and fitted with it, or fitted separately after fitting ?

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Hi Mick,

For the surrey backlight I would have thought install rubber first then the silver finishing trim.

Those lower front corners are right bu99ers at the bets of times..

When I fitted mine, many moons ago, I found the trim went in fairly easily.

Roger

Hi Denis

I have attempted to fit windows in a variety of vehicles and caravans over the years. I learnt many years ago that it is a skill that you cannot acquire as a one off, like  carpet fitting, or dentistry,  it's well worth paying your local windscreen fitter the £60 to do it for you. The last one I had fitted was the bay type front window on my Eriba caravan, the windscreen chap I've used before well earned his money and he's done hundreds in his career.

John

4 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Hi Guys,

As always the perennial question, finishing trim with clip, in place around the rubber and glass and fitted with it, or fitted separately after fitting ?

Mick Richards

After. The rounded bottom of the "T" is compressing the rubber after passing the groove with a "pop" and holding the rubber pressed against both glass and frame. Petroleum jelly or soap and heavy duty gloves required.

Rubber/vinyl protectant spray ( Armor All is the best known brand here in the 'States ) has been the lubricant of choice for mine, for the rope trick too.

The rear seal won't fill the front corners if snug on the glass; it needs to have some slack because the glass doesn't go the distance;  the seal has to go it alone for the last stretch. I filled the groove at the critical points partway with about 3/16" of stiff rubber strips about 2" long, and hoped for the best.

This one has the old alumin(i)um trim in the seal:

IMA 68 TR ALBUM COMPLETE 024.jpg