FHC rebuild

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i've a little busy elsewhere so only had a few minutes here and there to work.

i started with the bit on top as my template, made the bit on the bottom. just need a little fettling and clean up the weld. you can't see the raised edges along the curved parts but they're there.

the inner wing is now structurally solid and waiting for hammer and dolly work

IMG_20191111_193637.jpg

Edited by jfg
  • 3 months later...

You’ll be able to get the factory paint code from a plate on the car, or via the VIN. Have you got a plate on the door edge? If early car I’d have guessed at Flamenco (CAD) or Pimento Red (CAB).

Edited by Paul Heritage2
  • 1 month later...

Not been on here for a while and found your updates very interesting. Has the cold weather kept you out of the workshop?

• 1 month later...

I've done quite a lot more on the structural integrity. The car is now a bare shell, except for the passenger door which i can't access yet as it's up against the wall.

New bits include outer sill. Fresh steel grafted in to repair the delaminated seems. The driver side rear floor corner has been rebuilt with fresh steel. For the first time in many many years the off side from front of chassis to the b pillar is structurally solid.

I'm now on to the rear wing/wheel arch and the rear chassis leg between the rear wall and rear shock tower.

Next i need to decide what i'm going to do with the fuel filler. I'm leaning towards a custom lockable install in the same place as the original.

It's been a hell of a messy trip so far.

Nice to see an update on your project, I've found it very interesting and think you're doing a great job restoring your 7.

The VIN plate with the paint and trim code is usually on the O/S suspension turret under the bonnet. I have heard about them sometimes being on the doors but have never found one there.

I would have thought with the intense bodywork you've been doing that if it was still there you would have spotted it by now.

• 2 weeks later...

The turret top had already had a rust repair and the plate was not refitted.

I took off the fuel tank cover seal this week and the original colour is a nice bright red. I'm thinking pimento, that's the colour i'm going with.

Last week and this have been very busy for me on the car. I've repaired the rear chassis (in the fuel tank area), the inner wheel arch, the boot floor and the inner wing/floor plate. I also took the rear sill off and the panel behind that. I've ordered the sill and made the inner panel. Once that is done the entire off side of the car will be solid. Apart from the front wing but that will be next.

Whenever I've bought a TR7 in the past one of the first places I check for rust is the turrets and bulkhead. If these are in bad condition it's a good chance that all the other known rust areas will be requiring attention too.

My 7 is pretty solid, apart from having to replace the sub-frame last year. I did notice a smell of petrol a couple of months back and noticed that the tank is now leaking.

New tanks are quite expensive but I don't think I'll risk a second hand one unless it looks in excellent condition. If anyone has one I'd be very interested. Not seen many advertised!

Mike.

Having been furloughed i've had the luxury of lots of time on the triumph (apart from trying to resolve issues with a golf & clio, along with getting my van ready to sell) so i've moved on a bit with welding.

I've basically solidified the right hand side of the car. just the rear arch to do tomorrow before i move back to the front and sort the front wing.

I have a question about the rear inner sill behind the rear wheel. The cavity that you can see when opening the boot. Should there be a drain hole here? like the side sills have. Or should there be no holes in either?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 4:44 PM, ChippyMike said:

Whenever I've bought a TR7 in the past one of the first places I check for rust is the turrets and bulkhead. If these are in bad condition it's a good chance that all the other known rust areas will be requiring attention too.

My 7 is pretty solid, apart from having to replace the sub-frame last year. I did notice a smell of petrol a couple of months back and noticed that the tank is now leaking.

New tanks are quite expensive but I don't think I'll risk a second hand one unless it looks in excellent condition. If anyone has one I'd be very interested. Not seen many advertised!

Mike.

On 5/8/2020 at 4:44 PM, ChippyMike said:

Amongst the recognised suppliers, TD Fitchet had some on eBay at a slightly discounted price.  I wouldn't bother with a s/h item myself as you don't know how much time you're buying.

Edited by BusheyTrader
Typo

I have now solidified the driver side of the car. I still have some body work to do but i'm doing the rust removal first to give a solid body to work with.

Before i fit the refurbed front wing i'm redoing the  front part of the inner wing. I have never been happy with the first repair to it.

Hopefully Friday will see the wing refitted. Then i can put the rolling gear back on to spin it around and start again on the passenger side

I am now so close to finishing the front o/s wing and fitting it finally. I've ordered some pimento red paint so by the time that arrives i should have the wing ready to paint the inner side before fitting.

It feels like i'm getting somewhere now.

i'm not sure if i'm keeping these or fabricating it smooth yet.

The trial litre of pimento red (cab) came yesterday. I gave the front inner wing 1 coat today. It had grey primer. Damn it's quite orangey. It's like a childs toy red.  Not sure if i like it, i thought it would be a deeper brighter red.

IMG_20200613_114717.jpg

29 minutes ago, jfg said:

i'm not sure if i'm keeping these or fabricating it smooth yet.

The trial litre of pimento red (cab) came yesterday. I gave the front inner wing 1 coat today. It had grey primer. Damn it's quite orangey. It's like a childs toy red.  Not sure if i like it, i thought it would be a deeper brighter red.

IMG_20200613_114717.jpg

Pimento is very orange , if you want a good red then go for Carmen.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the crossmember off the the steering column fixes to inside the car to paint it.

I took a picture of where things were fixed underneath but deleted it!

Can someone tell (or show) where these 2 brackets fit on please?

IMG_20200625_152331.jpg

6 minutes ago, jfg said:

here is the sample of pimento red that i sprayed as a test on the inner wing. it's way too orange for me

IMG_20200625_152851.jpg

Well I did say it was very orange;)

Stuart.

1 hour ago, jfg said:

the carmine red (couldn't see carmen) is too dark, has a hint of plum about it.

I've gone for guards red, porsche colour instead

Carmen red is a BL colour usually on Jaguars it is very similar to Guards red.

Stuart.