FHC rebuild

I started making a new spare wheel well floor today. It still needs fettling to smooth it but i'll do that once everything fits properly.

IMG_20200629_181007.jpg

Edited by jfg

As for the paint, i found a piece with original paint on that is exposed enough now. I polished it up nice and bright. It is a spot on match to the new paint i used on the inner wing when compared side by side.

I made a nice motivational step forward today. The inner wing and the hidden side of the wheel tub have been painted, in the acky orange/red.  It's mostly hidden and will be wax oiled inside once complete so i'm not bothered about it. It also saves the paint from going to waste.

I can weld the wing back on on Monday and the car will be monocoque whole again.

On another plus the guards red came today and it's perfect. So much deeper and richer red.

• 2 weeks later...

i had not been looking forward to removing the front panel but after looking at it today it was a lot easier than i expected.

The old one was shot and beyond reasonable repair, as you may be able to tell from the picture below.

I bought a replacement from robsport a while ago. It only needed minmal repair.

IMG_20200714_160201.jpg

Only a couple of jobs today. I bought a panel from rimmers that came yesterday. However it looked like it had been at the bottom of an industrial oven for 20 years. I put a healthy dose of degreaser on and left it overnight.

I fitted that (piece behind front bumper that joins the 2 chassis rails) panel and cleared the old scrap metal. Also finished off some of the minor rust in the passenger side headlamp area.

nearly forgot, i picked up a set of mg tf? wheels. I trial fitted them to the front struts/hubs that are in the shed. The pcd is correct. I will need to put a 185 or 195 tyres on the front. This assumes it clears the front arches. I may also need to put 5mm spacers on but i can only clarify that when the running gear is refitted.

Edited by jfg
  • 2 weeks later...

I have put the replacement front clip on and lined it up nicely.

Now i can turn the car around and start the passenger side next. Before i do that i need to refit all of the running gear, then take it all off again when its turned around.

I cleaned up the rear axle today and found a whole load of numbers. Anyone know what they identify to? i'll assume some is about the diff itself, 1 a serial number but what about all of the others? There is also a cg number and a number beginning with 88 i think.

I'm not sure the diff plate is supposed to look like this. looks like i'll have to make a new back plate.

IMG_20200729_172654.jpg

IMG_20200729_172620.jpg

IMG_20200729_172552.jpg

Edited by jfg
  • 3 weeks later...

I fitted the outer rear sill (behind the wheel) on the passenger side after repairs to the inner sill piece and a bit on the lower wheel tub section.

Does anyone know (from the pic below) what, if anything is originally fitted to the wheel tub inside the boot on the passenger side?

IMG_20200819_195339.jpg

On 7/17/2020 at 7:46 PM, jfg said:

"i picked up a set of mg tf? wheels. I trial fitted them to the front struts/hubs that are in the shed. The pcd is correct. I will need to put a 185 or 195 tyres on the front. This assumes it clears the front arches. I may also need to put 5mm spacers on but i can only clarify that when the running gear is refitted."

185's fit well, are available and reasonably priced & on my early MGF wheels they didn't require a spacer, plus they got rid of the dreaded 50-60mph vibrations.  Only problem is that the centre cap clips have to be cut off to miss the wheel bearing cap, so my simple solution was to stick them in with contact adhesive. Just remember to remove them before you have the wheels balanced as the shop will knock them out for balancing & simply push them back in afterward - resulting in lost centre caps a few miles down the road....

Are the holes for the elastic strap clip that holds the spare tyre in place?

Thanks for the tips.

The holes are up on the n/s/r wheel tub not in the the spare wheel well.

There was snapped steel patch covering the holes but it had no markings or signs of what it may have been for.

• 1 month later...

Things have just been put on hold for a few months with the resto. We found a house that has ample space for a 7m x 5m garage build. While the sale process happens i have to put it back together (loosely) to move to storage.