FHC rebuild

So today began the strip down. The front bumper and vent trim came off, surprisingly easy for something that's stood for 20 odd years.

The engine runs but the clutch pedal was solid. So i figured either the master cylinder, slave cylinder or clutch seized internally.

The gears also don't select when the engine isn't running.

The master and slave cylinders both look fairly new. no corrosion at all. As soon as i loosened the bleed screw and pressed the pedal the pedal hit the floor without any resistance. I retightened the screw but still nothing just flat to the floor. This means i won't be driving in and out of the garage.

So a preliminary inspection of the front end (with bumper removed) shows a fair bit of rust. The front panel (surrounding the headlights) is rotten in the underframe and has tin can dents on top. The offside chassis leg has some repair needed. The off side inner wheel arch has had some awful previous patching done in the past that needs replacing along with both front outer arches.

I'll be back out on it on the weekend so i'll get some pictures posted then.

Oh and of course there are mixed up bolt "repairs" done in places. So a fair bit of drilling/tapping and helicoiling will be needed.

I got around to more front end stripping yesterday, which gave a better view of the rust and fibreglass filler!

I also removed what was left of the sunroof, then cut and tacked in the steel sheet to fill the roof. Part one of roof repair is done. I ran out out of wire.

I need to sink and weld the rear edge and then make the supports which will also firm up the roof shape/profile.

IMG_20190413_143415.jpg

The final external weld along the rear edge was finished today. temporary skim around the seem (for pinhole weather protection while it's kept outside) and coated with bilt hamer zinc rich primer and then covered in lacquer.

The interior was stripped to reveal the floors, not as bad as i expected. Only real nasty was the drivers side sill was full of expanding foam!!!!

I stripped the clutch slave cylinder and freed the piston. thankfully no rust in the bore so new seals and should be ok.

I stripped the front bumper. Everything broke!! The lights/lenses and all clips on the plastic bumper/ retaing clips. The bumper weighs a ton!!!

I've seen a couple advertised but i think i'll have a go at making a one piece fibreglass/carbon bumper replacement.

A little bit more stripping today. The clutch master cylinder and brake servo & master cylinder. I've yet to split the master from the servo it seems to be stuck together. I'll need to look at the book before i go into Thor mode.

I managed to split the master cylinder and servo. They were pretty much bonded together. Lots of crud in the recess of the servo.

Good news is the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinders have spotless insides so new seals and they'll be fine.

And the offside brake caliper was not seized, both pistons popped pretty easy. No rust on either piston so again new seals and it will be fine.

happy with that this evening

One more thorough check of the front floor pans shows what is either a dent or formation in the outer front corner.

Hopefully i'll see one at bicester on sunday to try and clarify it, and a thousand other visual queries

• 2 weeks later...

Worked this morning then home to fit new seals into clutch master and slave cylinders. I also fitted the new seals into the o/s/f caliper now that the paint has dried.

• 2 weeks later...

i received the brake caliper refurb kit on the weekend so both calipers are now refurbished and painted a lovely gold colour.

I also started cutting out the rot and grafting in fresh steel.

The fun has begun

further inspection with the grinder revealed sporadic rust over a larger area, so the metal i grafted in will act as a stiffener for now.  i wasn't happy with the weld anyway so i'll remove and replace as i go.

• 2 weeks later...

today was meant to be full and final welding of the new steel in the osf wheel arch.

brand new roll of wire was wound so tight the welder could not pull it through. i had to manually wind it on a dozen turns at a time for 5 seconds weld!!!

so i just stitched the new steel in place and will get a new bottle of gas for the big roll of gas wire that i have in the loft. needless to say not a happy man this bank holiday.

• 2 weeks later...

i got the wing into the garage to begin to restore it.  The new steel wheel arch arrived from robsport. really nice panel too. I couldn't fininsh it today and all i have left is to trial fit it to get the lower section curves correct and the door gap correct. aswell as fabricate the right angle section which welds the wing to the bodywork along the bonnet line.

IMG_20190608_125608.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the engine came out tonight, back on it saturday to take off the gearbox & prop shaft. Then get back to welding the front offside area and try to figure out what is going on with the drivers door

IMG_20191009_192511.jpg