4Cyl TR Rear Crank Seal

Yep looks like a rip off of Christians kit but what they dont mention is the mandrel that you really need to get it right.

Stuart.

I think this is the one manufactured by Bastuck in Germany.

Moss sell it, but TR Shop is a little cheaper - £135 and £49.50 for the centring tool (but you can return it and get a £26 rebate)

I had this seal fitted in to my rebuilt engine and have had no discernible oil leak from the rear end of the crank - however, I have only put about 1500 miles on since rebuild.

At £75 it’s a good buy if you need one, and it least means you do not have to machine the crank and can always revert to the original.

Chris

Be interested to know if it comes with the spring for the inside of the Viton seal like Christians version has, it doesn't show in the advertisement....

Christian Marx "invented" his version of the rear seal some years ago - as he sold more than just a few of these he needed some kind of professional aid in production and sales: Due to his connection to the TC racing series and Bastuck promoting this series, it was quite logical that Bastuck was a potential partner. So today you can buy the same unit from Christian Marx or Bastuck - these are identical.

Regarding the Ebay -offering: It looks identical including the finish of the Aluminium parts - the only missing part is the spring. So I would be interested to know, ifit's a cheap copy or a real bargain.

Regards, Johannes

Just double checked Moss website, and they are now selling this Crank oil seal kit for £72 (including the spring element mentioned above), but it has a standard lip seal, not the uprated Viton seal - although they are available at additional cost.

This is about half price compared to what they were charging 12 months ago !

Chris

• 2 years later...

Just received a seal from the TR shop, with spring  but there is no link in the spring. I would have thought trying to stretch the steel spring  to the size of the end of the crank  would have exceeded the elastic limits of the spring ,  has anyone had experience with the one piece spring???

cheers

Steve 

If you look closer you will see a join. One end tapers down, & when twisted will unscrew from the other end. Do the reverse to reconnect once over the crank

Bob

Edited by Lebro