TR4A - new restoration project

Hi Guys, 

As a TR6 owner/restorer, I have just acquired a 1966 TR4A, dry stored since 1987,  for full restoration. 

Looking forward to the challenge, just hope it turns out to be as solid as it seems. However, having restored two TR6 basket cases I realise it well may have some of the same hidden body problems, but time will tell??

Question: I need aTR4A workshop manual. Are the "Brooklands books" manuals as good as the original loose leaf manuals which seem to command very high prices despite being well used and perhaps a bit oily. Has anybody got a spare manual to sell?

Thanks 

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just started tearing apart my 66 TR4A, luckily no major surprises. The main rust issues, previously repaired (badly), are the rear inner wing to rear deck, very typical of both TR4 /5 and 6. Luckily the front end /floors and cills are in excellent condition (phew). However more problems will appear I'm sure once all the underseal is removed and the body sand blasted.

The car was last taxed in 1985 and the last MOT shows 95585 recorded mileage  in April 1985 which ties up with the speedo reading of approx 96000. The car has been dry stored since then with some repair work undertaken over the past 34 years.

The chassis/frame number is CTC64191E, engine number CT64191E, stamped on the engine,  which ties up with the original green registration book, except that the engine number has been written as ST 64191E.

I assume that this was an clerical error by the person writing the data onto the green registration book back in 1966? This information has been transferred to the V5C. 

I intend to update the engine number when I send off the V5C to transfer the car to my name, Just seeking confirmation that the S prefix is indeed incorrect?

Thanks 

Rich

Hi Guys, sorry too early in the morning! The chassis/vin  No should have been stated as CTC64206, not the same as the engine number,  Duh!!

Was the ST prefix to the engine number in the green registration document an error back in 1966? Should have been CT

Thanks Rich