TR4A bonnet Badge "The World" Query

I wanted to replace this emblem on my TR4A because the continents had faded in color. When I ordered the replacement from Rimmer Bros, I noticed that my original had a (faded) blue ocean as well, whereas theirs has simply no color (or, a metal one). Can anyone tell me if the blue ocean color is correct, and this one isn't?

TR4ABadgeIMG_7223.jpg

this one isn't indeed. Here is mine well faded after year under Malaysia's sun. The blue ocean is more like powder blue now Difficult to find good ones these days .... 

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-09 at 18.48.34.jpeg

2 hours ago, ron73 said:

Hi Roger - am I guessing that the repro's have changed? Trying to get original and I would think a blue ocean isn't too hard to add if I wanted to!

Hi Ron,

I think the repro's actually worked well.

The continents are rather stylised and as such would be difficult to bu99er up.

Roger

PS - I improved my badge by framing it with an expensive oil seal !!!

P1040461a.jpg

Edited by RogerH

Moss USA is selling two versions, one with a ring, one without. The version with the ring molded on is $3.00 more than the one without, but the ring alone is $10.49. Both  have "seas of blue", more or less.

Also attached is an older write-up from Moss on the subject.

601-080_1.jpg

601-088_1.jpg

601-088.pdf

Edited by Andy303

Gordon Birtwistle owned 4VC from early 1964 until 1969 and, in about 1967, the car was stolen and pranged, necessitating a new bonnet, valance and grille.  Gordon was a test driver for Standard Triumph, so then current parts were fitted, which is why the car has a TR4A bonnet and grille – and a TR4A badge.  The badge has faded over the years and now shows the oceans as pale blue and the continents as pink, with the exception of South America, which is a sort of purple.

The TR4A grille has just a pair of cut-outs for a trafficators, so, rather than carving the grille to fit the usual tiny TR4 sidelamps, Gordon managed to fit the combined sidelamp/trafficator units which were to be found on the Morris Minor at that time.  This makes for a very neat job, especially as the TR4A grille is neater than the squashed alloy version on the TR4 (I realise that this will be considered heresy in some people's eyes!).

Ian Cornish

1 hour ago, Tony_C said:

The UK has remained a bit of a blob throughout. However, the distance from Europe appears to have grown over time; did the folks at Conley have some sort of crystal ball?

And not to mention the Prime Meridian is somewhere in the Irish Sea.

The original bonnet badge on my 4A had faded quite badly in only the first ten years, particularly the red land areas. I use Humbrol Enamel Model Paints in suitably chosen hues to retouch the badge and these have not faded noticeably in 40 years. I took the attached picture today and whilst there is some crazing to the clear plastic cover I cannot complain after 53 years!

Tim

DSC01291.JPG