Big and Main Bearings

What is the current verdict on big and main bearings for a high performance (180-200BHP) engine?

Brand and where to buy....I am seeing glacier, glyco, county, some King....

I would prefer Vandervell VP2 but these seem to be rare.....

Jochem

Edited by JochemsTR

Jochem,

Start with http://www.fwthornton.co.uk

Thorntons are a very  long established company with massive stocks of old bearings, not just Triumph.

Thorntons had Vendervell stock for my Stag, they used to have massive stocks. When I spoke to them last they had stocks of original sized bearings, but the oversized where either short supply or gone.

Alan Barker

Hi Jochem,

I bought King 3-metal, but they were larger ID than expected. Cheap but no morr Kings for me. Also poor response from King-USA.

I then bought Glyco, they gave the correct clearance. Happy with these, bu not many hrs on them.

Waldi

2 hours ago, JochemsTR said:

What is the current verdict on big and main bearings for a high performance (180-200BHP) engine?

Brand and where to buy....I am seeing glacier, glyco, county, some King....

I would prefer Vandervell V2 but these seem to be rare.....

Jochem

A Set of oversize or undersize bearings from one of the old original OEM's are hard to come by now! Revington have had a batch specially made to the old type OEM spec. but I do not know whose they are? You will have to ask them, they are about £100 per set.

Bruce.

Alan,

just talked to Thornton. Nothing heavy duty in stock.

Waldi,

where did you buy Glyco and what is your engine spec (BHP)?

I am just wondering, where do the racing guys buy their bearings?

Jochem

1 minute ago, JochemsTR said:

Alan,

just talked to Thornton. Nothing heavy duty in stock.

Waldi,

where did you buy Glyco and what is your engine spec (BHP)?

I am just wondering, where do the racing guys buy their bearings?

Jochem

Revington! I believe!

Bruce.

Jochem,

the main bearing shells were supplied by the conpany who ground the crank shaft.

The big end bearing shells I bought from Revington.

If you decide to go for King, Chris Wittor has a good price. The box unfortunately did not confirm they are tri-metal, which I found a bit weird.

Waldi

Edited by Waldi

I received Information from Revington, The Roadster Factory (US) and a few other Inputs. The general consensus is King Tri-Metal bearings.

Yes, there may be some dimensional discrepancies, however, I would feel safe ordering from Revington.

Jochem

I've used ACL in quite a few race engines running 250bhp plus with ARP fasteners lasted well. Think the main thing with any shell is to ensure there is good oil pressure at the right temp otherwise even the best will soon fail. 

10 hours ago, Richard71 said:

ACL Bearings are highly recommended by the machine shop I use, that's what they've supplied me in the past. Not sure where they source them from but you could try here https://www.enginepartsuk.net/acl-bearings 

Thanks. I will contact them....partnumber is probably helpfull....

3 hours ago, JochemsTR said:

Hi Jochem!

I used ACL bearings when my engine was rebuilt 2 years ago! But I was lead to believe that they were no more and I was lucky to have obtained a set. They were made in Australia under license from one of the leading original UK Bearing manufactures.

Bruce.

Let us not forget that the TR5/6 is 1.5 spitfire/dolomite/midget 1500 engines. So a couple of engine sets of Spit 1500 VP bearings may turn up and be used. 

Plus, as I have written before the racers used to use MGB BE bearings as they were 25% wider working surface than TR and fitted the TR rod without machining - the crank I suspect would have needed resizing.

Peter W

The head of engineering at King Bearings was interviewed and was asked  which was better for classic cars - bi or tri metal bearings.  His response, which surprised me, was the bi metal bearings were best for classic cars.   The bimetals are better at "absorbing" contaminates as there is more material for those to bed in to and not damage the crank journals.  He commented that newer cars due to much tighter tolerances had much smaller contaminates that could flow thru so less needed for them to bed in to.  

1 hour ago, YankeeTR5 said:

The head of engineering at King Bearings was interviewed and was asked  which was better for classic cars - bi or tri metal bearings.  His response, which surprised me, was the bi metal bearings were best for classic cars.   The bimetals are better at "absorbing" contaminates as there is more material for those to bed in to and not damage the crank journals.  He commented that newer cars due to much tighter tolerances had much smaller contaminates that could flow thru so less needed for them to bed in to.  

This may be valid for your "standard" classic car, but we are looking at a performance engine. At least I consider 180-200 BHP performance. I discussed this with my engine builder, and he also recommends King Tri-Metal. The way the engine is currently build, this applies to modern cars also. In this respect, there is nothing "classic"

20 hours ago, Rob Salisbury said:

Basil Adams, a College Prof in America has set about acquiring the entire Universe's supply of Vandervell VP2 bearings,  ..... not cheap, but the real deal, he may have what you require.

Google:- Basil Adams Bearings

I contacted Basil. I received a response in minutes. Excellent. Pricing for Vandervell VP2 is very high. I am almost affraid to share this.....

11 hours ago, JochemsTR said:
22 hours ago, Richard71 said:

ACL Bearings are highly recommended by the machine shop I use, that's what they've supplied me in the past. Not sure where they source them from but you could try here https://www.enginepartsuk.net/acl-bearings 

I received a quote.

Big Ends 9,63 per pair King Lead copper

Mains 15,24 per pair ACL Lead Copper

I am not sure what Lead Copper means.

Anybody?

1 hour ago, JochemsTR said:

I received a quote.

Big Ends 9,63 per pair King Lead copper

Mains 15,24 per pair ACL Lead Copper

I am not sure what Lead Copper means.

Anybody?

I never kept the packaging my ACL bearing were supplied with, hence I don't know the part numbers. I do however have some Vandervell bearings stashed away somewhere, I'll look them out tomorrow if you know what size you're looking for, will you be using a standard uncut crankshaft?

14 minutes ago, Richard71 said:

I never kept the packaging my ACL bearing were supplied with, hence I don't know the part numbers. I do however have some Vandervell bearings stashed away somewhere, I'll look them out tomorrow if you know what size you're looking for, will you be using a standard uncut crankshaft?

Hello Richard,

yes, that's the plan.

Jochem