Cold engine misfire

Greetings, Oh Sage One’s!

:huh:

My ‘74 CF starts readily, and runs well when warm, but the 5 or 10 minutes in between are awful, firing on only 4 or 5 cylinders. I’ve changed all the usual suspects. Has anyone got any ideas? I am running a single 2 inch SU and a supercharger.

many thanks,

Austin

Austin,

it could be a fuel issue. 

Running lean maybe? 

A bit related: I have a CP car with original Lucas System, with an AFR sensor in the exhaust and a gauge in the car. Yesterday when I started the car it ran reasonably ok (for a cold engine after not having run for several weeks) but suddenly ran or 4 or 5 cylinders. AFR was like 15-16, so it was running lean. Suddenly, while I playd the choke, the engine run ok on all 6, and I could see an immediate shift in AFR to 13. 

Waldi

I have the Holly supercharger setup and I get the odd backfire when cold. I have checked with the AFR meter and it is running a little lean. Trouble is the enrichment on the Holly isn't great. Have partially solved it by running a little rich at idle. Could be a similar issue with your SU.  You may want to richen it up a tad. 

Tim

Thanks for all your responses. 

Waldi - I have an AFR guage, I’ll take a good look next time out.

Mike - yes, I’ve checked that and it appears OK.

Tim - I can try that, thanks.

Stuart - I have some EP80/90, will that be OK?

Again, many thanks.

Austin

13 hours ago, Austin Branson said:

Thanks for all your responses. 

Waldi - I have an AFR guage, I’ll take a good look next time out.

Mike - yes, I’ve checked that and it appears OK.

Tim - I can try that, thanks.

Stuart - I have some EP80/90, will that be OK?

Again, many thanks.

Austin

When I used to race Jaguars back in the 70`s and 80`s we used to make up a version using anything from 3in1 to 20/50 engine oil or 20/60 and in cold weather thin it with a bit of diesel, I think gear oil maybe too thick on its own but it would be trial and error, you would be surprised what a difference it makes, damper spring poundage also makes a difference.

Stuart.