voltage stabilizer

I have a 1972 TR6 i the gauges work properly .The Turn signals and heater blower fan just stopped working. I looked under the dash and noticed the voltage stabilizer was not grounded , it is hanging by the wires connected to it. When I grounded it.  the gauges no longer worked. the turn signals were working .....now they are not.  Can any one offer me some suggestions other than to get another cold beer?

Order the Dan Masters Electrical Maintenance Handbook for Triumph TR250-TR6.

The Bentley Service Manual for TR6 compliments it.

You will be able to troubleshoot electrical problems all by yourself- no need to take the car anywhere for service.

I was a complete idiot with electrical stuff, then, suddenly I had the electrics working properly.

There are step-by-step flow charts, as well as text, taking you through the steps to problem solve.

Walt

DSCF1157 (15).JPG

Edited by Sapphire72
14 minutes ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi

Has anyone found this book in the UK for sale?

Rich

Moss list it Rich

just google ‘dan masters electrical maintenance handbook’ and the link appears :-)

steve

9 hours ago, jgosnel2 said:

I have a 1972 TR6 i the gauges work properly .The Turn signals and heater blower fan just stopped working. I looked under the dash and noticed the voltage stabilizer was not grounded , it is hanging by the wires connected to it. When I grounded it.  the gauges no longer worked. the turn signals were working .....now they are not.  Can any one offer me some suggestions other than to get another cold beer?

The VR case should be earthed. Check the green fuse and holder.  http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf

Roger

The voltage VR directly affects just the fuel and Temp gauges, just had to change mine after breaking the solid state one poking around under the dash.

Check the fuses, the VR fuse also supplies, flashers, heater fan and lots of other things.

Dave

50 minutes ago, RogerH said:

The VR case should be earthed. Check the green fuse and holder.  http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf

Roger

To follow on from Rogers suggestion, looking at circuit diagram, first check brake lights work.

If they are ok then power is getting to the brake light switch. Then check connectors on brake light switch and follow green cable on to the common connection point shown on the diagram for heater, turn switches and voltage stabiliser. No idea where this will be on a TR6 (I have a 4A). Check connectors and disconnect the supply to the voltage stabiliser. You can then check separately that heater, turn switches (and reversing lights) all have power and work.

Next check voltage stabiliser circuit. If the windshield washer works then there is power to the stabiliser.

The stabiliser is earthed and provides a fixed voltage to the temp and fuel gauges and nothing else.

TR wiring is very simple so is usually a case of following the wires and testing the circuit at intervals where you can. Check the fuse is tight in the holder as well. I spent ages trying to fix a wiper motor problem only to find that it was a loose fuse.

Good luck

Keith

9 hours ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Moss list it Rich

just google ‘dan masters electrical maintenance handbook’ and the link appears :-)

steve

your google is better than my google then :-) - - -cheers!

Edited by AarhusTr6