Hi  just fitted new clutch and now unable to engage reverse   All forward gears ok have also fitted ne spring to gear stick (ante rattle? ) lifts over to reverse but sounds like its riding on top of the gear and not engaging revers  gear seems to be going to fast to slip into gear will go in when engine if not running any ideas what to do ??? could it be the clutch is not disengaging correctly ?  

Yes it does sound like clutch not fully disengaging. The forward gears have synchromesh (TR4 on - only 234&4 for TR2/3), so will help to engage, but reverse not so, & so unless all gears are stationary, it will "crunch"

Bob.

And can you get it in reverse when engine is off? This may need a bit of moving with the car to align the teeth.

If so, the shifting mechanism that you worked on is probably ok. If not, I would look at that first.

Waldi

Hi Keith,

it does sound as if the clutch is not fully disengaging.

Check for play at all the pivots etc. With the clutch slave cylinder piston fully in make sure you have the minimum gap between piston rod and attachment hole on the arm.

Are you hooking up the rod tot he central hole on the arm.

Is it a TR4  or 4A/5/6.  I would use a return spring even though the latter are self adjusting.

Roger

Aha, Roger triggers me:

is the slave cylinder installed in the correct position conpared to gearbox and intermediate plate?

Waldi

4 hours ago, Waldi said:

Aha, Roger triggers me:

is the slave cylinder installed in the correct position conpared to gearbox and intermediate plate?

Waldi

that's something I must look at as I should have mentioned the engine I fitted is  in a Bristol 401 and had to make up the mounting plates for the slave cylinder y so will check this thanks