One of our TR group alerted us to an article that some of you may have seen about 2 classic car owners killed by carbon monoxide poisoning while putting their classic into a protective plastic covering. You often see these protective 'tents' at car shows. This particular incident was made worse by the fact that the garage was at the bottom of a slope below road level. It is a salutary warning that even the best laid plans can end in tragedy. 

Those of you with these plastic bubbles or tents perhaps should invest in a carbon monoxide alarm? Hadn't really thought about this risk before myself. I don't have one of these tents and always open both ends of the garage if the engine is running.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/04/01/classic-car-enthusiasts-die/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_em

Keith

It makes me very sad to read this, I can only imagine the tragedy in this family, friends and neighbourhood.

I think this could have happened to many of us.

Thanks for sharing Keith.

Waldi

I have a cair-o-port and the car certainly occupies a large percentage of the  available volume of the tent. I always have the fans switched on when parking or removing the car, probably not too much in the way of air circulation but it can only help.

I find starting and removing the car has a worse smell than parking as the car starts and needs to run for a short while before it is able to be driven out, but that is just rich exhaust fumes and you are heading for fresh air. Yes I know CO  does not smell. Thinking about this tragedy the tent is actually filling with fumes as you reverse towards it and it will only get worse as you drive in. I'm going to have to consider how I park the car, perhaps reversing up to a closed tent then stopping the engine, opening the tent door then restarting and driving in quickly.  Or maybe one of those very large floor standing fans, probably a good plan at less than £50

Food for thought,

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams
OOps CO2 CO typo. Too much speed : too little Brain

I saw the newspaper report and couldn't quite work out how it appears to have taken this unfortunate couple so long to get the car inside their airchamber.

I have a Carcoon and suspend the top zip on section on the supplied and bonded on canopy straps to my garage roof trusses, After opening the "up and over" garage door (it passes in between the canopy straps) I drive forward into the Carcoon with the open end flaps parting to let me in and when in position turn off the engine ...maximum of 5 secs. Because the reverse of the car is pointing out no exhaust fumes in the Carcoon only minimum blow in if the wind is directly into the garage. When taking the car out after unzipping the top portion and it again being suspended upon the canopy straps from the trusses, I start the car and reverse out...5 secs maximum. I can't see any requirement for remaining inside the Carcoon with the car running, I never warm up a car before driving off...it's not recommended. 

Mick Richards

16 minutes ago, barkerwilliams said:

I have a cair-o-port and the car certainly occupies a large percentage of the  available volume of the tent. I always have the fans switched on when parking or removing the car, probably not too much in the way of air circulation but it can only help.

I find starting and removing the car has a worse smell than parking as the car starts and needs to run for a short while before it is able to be driven out, but that is just rich exhaust fumes and you are heading for fresh air. Yes I know CO2  does not smell. Thinking about this tragedy the tent is actually filling with fumes as you reverse towards it and it will only get worse as you drive in. I'm going to have to consider how I park the car, perhaps reversing up to a closed tent then stopping the engine, opening the tent door then restarting and driving in quickly.  Or maybe one of those very large floor standing fans, probably a good plan at less than £50

Food for thought,

Alan

The problem isn't the carbon dioxide Alan, it's the carbon monoxide. Both are odourless, but CO is lighter than air so more likely to be inhaled, and it's poisonous, reducing the body's ability to absorb oxygen. CO2 will suffocate you in sufficient concentration, but you'd need a lot of it. CO is deadly in very small concentrations.

Pete

53 minutes ago, Andrew Smith said:

Tragic yes, but sorry I don't see the issue - drive in and reverse out?

IMG_0128.JPG.487a4a9697dac94f4ee9462ec67b91dc.JPG

Cheers, Andrew

How do you choose which of your children goes into the protected habitat 

or do they take turns !?!?!?

Whilst a very sad event and heartfelt condolences to the family I fail to see the difference from a car tent and a garage. I can't think of any situation I would fire up sleeping beauty without the garage doors open. I do have a very expensive Carcoon outside version that you must remove the top as it deflates. The air circulation is by means of two large computer fans which circulates the air after inflation the only downside is the snow loading ability and longevity of the silver coating. Mine lasted one year and started to crack up due to a bad batch of material. To be fair Carcoon replaced it at my cost for return carriage and advised that the fault lay with material. I have not used the Carcoon since moving house to one with a 2 1/2 car garage with ample dry storage and good ventilation, so could be open to offers but it is way to heavy to ship.

Andrews' indoor version has at least three doors that I can see and the exhaust at the door.

If it's too cold to open the doors to let the over rich choke fumes out then perhaps you need to wait for a warmer day.

IF IN DOUBT, PUSH IT OUT would be my adage.

Edited by Rodbr

If you read the article carefully I think the problem was the garage was underground and he was reversing the car into it and had trouble positioning it, It was also an auto so plenty of rev opportunity and if the car was cold when putting it in the amount of fumes would have been quite a lot plus both were getting on a bit.

Stuart.

In my lock-up garage I've always driven the TR nose first in.  In this position I can run the engine in the garage if it's raining or otherwise ~

with the door open obviously!   No danger of exhaust fumes. 

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049
1 hour ago, stuart said:

If you read the article carefully I think the problem was the garage was underground and he was reversing the car into it and had trouble positioning it, It was also an auto so plenty of rev opportunity and if the car was cold when putting it in the amount of fumes would have been quite a lot plus both were getting on a bit.

Stuart.

Hello Stuart

"both were getting on a bit"?? - They were 67 and 70 so younger than many of our members these days!

As you say, the garage being underground was probably the main issue but it is so easy to come a cropper. I mean all he was doing was putting the car away. Something he must have done several times. What could go wrong?

Keith

38 minutes ago, keith1948 said:

"both were getting on a bit"?? - They were 67 and 70 so younger than many of our members these days!

Stuart probably meant that at that age some folks tend to do inconsiderate things and that doesn't go any better as one grows older.... Sound warning

17 hours ago, Hamish said:

How do you choose which of your children goes into the protected habitat 

or do they take turns !?!?!?

No contest Hamish, it was bought for the TR6 which has now been sold along with the Airchamber - no such luxury for TuRK or VUX.

Cheers, Andrew