Fitting four seasons Heater valve

Just got around to this job and got the old one off

Does anybody know the correct size spanner I should be using to fit the Four seasons valve I purchased from the states as none of my spanners so far are the correct size!!

four seasons.jpg

I just used an adjustable, I'm not an Engineer so the spanner police don't come for me ;-)

Seems an incredibly tight fit screwing it in...Don't want to damage it or round the nut

In this case I would use my Knipex pliers wrench,

adjustable and it grips more powerfull the more powerfull you push it -

if you hold it the correct way around ;)

Edited by Z320

Reminds me of my favourite spanner joke....

what’s the stupiest spanner in the toolbox?

Half Whit :-)

steve

Mine was a bit tight too. I cleaned the female thread in the nipple where it screws in with a round steel wire brush first, especially the lower part, where you probably have hard deposits too.

Waldi

Jogger321, are you using Plumbers' Tape? The PTFE tape not only forms a seal on the thread, it lowers the friction as you assemble/tighten the valve. As far as I recall, I tightened mine by hand, nothing more!

Cheers, Richard

Thats really helpful thanks ...Unfortunately I have slightly rounded the nut on the new one already :-(

I'm going to clean out the female thread and also use ptfe when I try again

On reflection the old one was really difficult to turn anticlockwise right up until its last thread and removal.....Mind you probably hadn't been moved for over 40 years!!!

Might be a good idea to replace the steel pipe as well then! You can get them for a few quid on ebay.

I didn't have any problem tightening up the valve (also used PTFE tape) when I did it.

Daz

1 hour ago, jogger321 said:

Thats really helpful thanks ...Unfortunately I have slightly rounded the nut on the new one already :-(

For this case I recommend to you to buy a "Knipex water pump pliers",

both (water pump pliers and pliers wrench) will make you happy for the rest of your life - and your inheritors too.

1 hour ago, Z320 said:

For this case I recommend to you to buy a "Knipex water pump pliers",

both (water pump pliers and pliers wrench) will make you happy for the rest of your life - and your inheritors too.

Yes...but my inheritors won't be pleased that I spent all that money on them :-) :-) :-)

30 minutes ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi.  I fitted one but not had much luck on getting the cable to fit to the pin.  An electrical spade did not work!

That’s weird, mine took about 5 mins to connect up - there are some other very elegant solutions that people have shared, but this worked fine for me (at least so far!)

....... Andy 

09211CFC-0AC7-4D64-B85E-C2295131D5E9.jpeg

18 minutes ago, AndyR100 said:

That’s weird, mine took about 5 mins to connect up - there are some other very elegant solutions that people have shared, but this worked fine for me (at least so far!)

....... Andy 

09211CFC-0AC7-4D64-B85E-C2295131D5E9.jpeg

Said spade fell off Andy!  Saw a nice screw fixing thing once but don't have a lathe at home!

Oh dear!  I must admit, I wondered how long mine would last and have been pleasantly surprised so far!  My luck will run out one day :)

...... andy 

I made the same Ed has made from a round 15 mm piece of brass. No difficult equipment, just the grinder, files, drills and tap.

Looks perfect.

Waldi

46 minutes ago, michaeldavis39 said:

I would be interested to know what size hose everyone has fitted to this valve as the original hose is not the same diameter. 

Michael

I was able to sweat a standard size rubber hose on, no luck with a silicone hose though

1 hour ago, michaeldavis39 said:

I would be interested to know what size hose everyone has fitted to this valve as the original hose is not the same diameter. 

Michael

The existing one fitted OK for me, a bit of grease helps.

I used the Revington bit for the cable - https://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr1487/name/clamp-block-assembly

13 hours ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi.  I fitted one but not had much luck on getting the cable to fit to the pin.  An electrical spade did not work!

The fitting that Ed shows is very nice indeed.

There is a simple version.  The electrical connector block that has a plastic body with brass fittings. Wire in one side, another wire out the other.

Ebay here

Remove one of the brass connectors. Open one of the grub screw holes to fit the heater valve pin. The operating cable goes in the end and locked with the remaining grub screw.

TRNiall posted this about two years ago.

Roger

Edited by RogerH