Does anyone remember the distributor points adjusters available in the 60's?

They consisted of a thin walled tube which you slid over the cam and used the provided feeler gauge. 

This device negated having to have the points cam on the lobe?

Tom.

Hi Tom,  Can't remember who made them, think the tube was about 1" deep with a small chain attached that held 3 different feeler gauges  for Lucas, Delco Remy & one other I can't recall, possibly Ford. Cheers, Bill.

I have/had one.  Metal tube containing a shim,  the tube end was bunged by a plastic cap so the shim could be kept inside.

not too different to this. 

points4.jpg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I think the item that you are referring to is the Remax Contact Setting Tool.

A clever idea which actually works well, it was available in a variation of sizes to suit distributors from different manufacturers.

Remax Limited were a rival of Lucas, producing all manner of electrical components for cars and commercial vehicles.

Richard

1.jpg

21 minutes ago, Eddie Cairns said:

I believe ihat I had one but the gap they gave was nearer 20 thou rather than 15 thou when used on my Mini.

Say late sixties.

+1  which is why it went in the drawer and has now gone - I went searching today.

Seemed like a wonderful idea for use on an 'A' series with the distributor pocking out the side of the block in the depths of the engine bay.

Peter W

Here's a handy one to have on key fob

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spark-Plug-Gap-Setting-Tool-Gauge-Briggs-Stratton-Honda-NGK-Champion-TL12/183291217980?hash=item2aad02083c:g:e7sAAOSwGKRbMNYH

I think Champion used to produce something similar shaped like a spark plug and I still have it to this day somewhere on a key fob. Memory fades with age!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not just fit an electronic ignition module?
Unless you go for one of the expensive ones they are not much more than  a set of points and are pretty well fit and forget. (To the point that you can keep a spare module in the boot just in case it fails (can happen if the coil goes West)

Not really sure what the tool offers over a decent set of feeler gauges?

4 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

Why not just fit an electronic ignition module?
Unless you go for one of the expensive ones they are not much more than  a set of points and are pretty well fit and forget. (To the point that you can keep a spare module in the boot just in case it fails (can happen if the coil goes West)

Not really sure what the tool offers over a decent set of feeler gauges?

The thing it offered at the roadside was not having to move the car in top gear to get the engine to turn over. if you lived on a hill.

Poor control of the points gap was against it.

23 hours ago, Fireman049 said:

Hi Andy ~

Thank you for that. I want the vintage points setting tool for my collection. My 3A is already fitted with an Albertronic 123 distributor.

Regards ~

Tom.

I see.. I don't suppose too many collect electronic ignition modules!

• 1 month later...