No fuel at injectors when turning engine over

If the engine and weather is hot then the fuel can vaporise in the injector lines, especially with braided lines

my car requires a bit of cranking and throttle part open to restart after ‘enthusiastic’ use, but it always starts

steve

Edited by Steves_TR6
  • 2 months later...

Had the same problem (no fuel at injectors) and  when cold it took ages for the car to start but once started ran ok and would start easily when warm. Getting 110 lb pressure at the metering unit. Spoke to Neil Fergusson who thought it may be lack of power to the pump (Bosch) when the engine was turned over but sufficient voltage when the engine is running. As a test he suggested hooking up a separate battery to the pump then starting it, big improvement. He also thought it would help to fit a separate powerline with a relay direct to the pump. Has anyone else fitted one and if so can you tell me how you did it?

48 minutes ago, Nick Fairweather said:

Had the same problem (no fuel at injectors) and  when cold it took ages for the car to start but once started ran ok and would start easily when warm. Getting 110 lb pressure at the metering unit. Spoke to Neil Fergusson who thought it may be lack of power to the pump (Bosch) when the engine was turned over but sufficient voltage when the engine is running. As a test he suggested hooking up a separate battery to the pump then starting it, big improvement. He also thought it would help to fit a separate powerline with a relay direct to the pump. Has anyone else fitted one and if so can you tell me how you did it?

Nick 

If you do a search on the forum you will find a few articles on upgrading the power supply to the fuel pump, but basically you use the existing fuel pump feed to power a relay and then run a dedicated new power feed via the relay to the pump. On my car originally this new power feed was picked up from the thick brown wire on the connector block adjacent to the fuse box and the relay was mounted in the passenger footwell near the flasher relay. 

Points to remember;

don't forget to fuse the new power feed !

upgrade the earth connection for the pump as well

Stainless steel injector lines may ,lead to difficulty starting after standing a while as well (if you have them fitted of course!) 

Edited by Graham
spelling

Hot pumps can cause fuel vaporisation. When the vapour hits the metering unit the rotor can pick up in the housing and break the drive dog. 

Crack the fuel feed to the MU and turn on the ignition to ensure that you have a fuel supply .

If all is ok tighten it back up and feel the injector pipes for a pulse when cranking  

No pulse is likely no drive......easily replaced.

if it’s pulsing take out a couple of injectors and tap them as you crank to bleed out the air  

Just back from a tour of Eire  My TR3 and seven 6 cylinder cars......guess how I know this:rolleyes:

Edited by Drewmotty