Tr4a wishbone bracket strengthening - body and engine in place

Folks, in response to the “chassis strengthening thread” I ordered strengthening plates for the wishbone brackets, (as well as new dual stud lower wishbone pivot brackets). I’m going to install the plates with the body and engine in place (the kit write-up says it can be done this way). However after reading through that thread, and others, the only installation pictures I could find were ones with an exposed chassis.

Has anyone installed the strengthening plates with the body and engine in place? It doesn’t look like there’s much room to maneuver down there. Any tips or precautions to take with the body and engine (oil and grease) in such proximity?

Finally, in the installation pictures I did see, I could see welds between the plates and the frame, however it wasn’t apparent where the plates are welded to the wishbone brackets. Are these welded to the bracket along the top of the strengthening plate?

thanks

Jim

Well the lack of response seems to indicate I’m going to do a “Star Trek” experience with this endeavor (going where no one has gone before)! :huh:However I’d like to go over my plan of attack with the forum for your impressions/suggestions.

First, I’m having a pro welder come do the work. Not only to insure the welds are first rate, but also for good control in the cramped accesses.

I’m going to make some “spark guards” out of thin aluminum (sorry, aluminum B)). I’ll get rolls of aluminum roof flashing that are about a foot wide and are fairly cheap. I can use this to protect the engine, hoses, etc. 

I’ll pull the fuse to the electric fuel pump (I’ve removed the mechanical pump), and run the carbs/engine out of fuel. Then I’ll disconnect the fuel line at the pump and let any residual fuel run out of the line.

After removing the front suspension, I think the only other threatened rubber bits would be the motor mounts and the the steering rack boots. I can rap these in metal foil.

I’ll be standing there with a garden hose and an extinguisher, and my best running shoes!:D

Well that’s about it. Thoughts or comments?

I’m waited for parts and the welders’ schedule, but I’ll update as things progress.

Jim

Hi Jim, I had all this done by a professional outfit in the UK, my lower wishbone decided to rip the bracket off the Chassis down at the last  Malvern Show. So I had them reinforced all round whilst they fixed the initial problem. Body was on and Engine in place  !

Cheers Conrad. 

Hi Jim, I did mine with body and engine in place,  thin alloy sheet to shield sparks and wrapped surrounding items in damp rags. My self taught welding skills are fairly basic in confined spaces but have had no problems in 13 years since it was done. The braces either side the wishbone mounts are welded to the top face of the chassis and the vertical faces of the mounts. I braced both sides of the mount  and fitted the wishbone to the 2 stud bracket before assembly to the chassis. Be sure to check the face of the mount where the two studs fit as mine had cracks around the holes, needed welding up and grinding flat before refitting wishbones. I also made a square plate with 2 holes and welded to inside face of mounts, the studs are plenty long enough to allow for this.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Folks,

Just an update - the welding is done and the plates are in! Thanks for your input! Now on to reassembling the front suspension.

BTW - The welder was very pleased to see the aluminum roof flashing I slid between the frame and the engine compartment. He said it helped him concentrate on welding and not on fire control!!:rolleyes:

Jim