Diff.. what is it and is it tired...?

Now at the stage of looking at the diff and working out if it needs loads of work or just a good clean inside and out.

firstly, what is it? the rear cover does not look like a TR6 diff...? i've searched the interweb but cant find anything that looks similer

Secondly, locking the input shaft and trying to rotate both output shafts, i get a small amount of play/blacklash, if i were to measure it, i would say around 3-5 mm

i'll try to video it....

thanks

Nick

IMG_1482.jpeg

Yes, your right... also TR 250 so I’ve been told. It was either a second had unit or refurbished, it had “ TR6 3:7” written on it in paint pen.

I’ll have a look through the paperwork that came with the car, there was a fair amount of work done by TRGB

Nick 

Hi Nick,

that is not a 4A diff. Or more precisely the rear chassis attachment isn't.   

The holes for the rubber bushes should be complete rings and integral with the rear cover.

Have a look here

Roger

Edited by RogerH

It looks like a TR6 diff back plate with home made brackets to convert to TR4A fitting
Ian

Edited by cvtrian

yes it is a 4a diff back plate . You could just change it to a correct 6 one if you wish but what you have will work. I believe that the 6 one has a slightly large oil capisity .

thanks chaps....

i think i'll just keep it as it is, thats how it was when i bought the car.

checked the backlash/play and all seems good to go, going to replace all three seals, clean and paint the main body and powder coat everything else.

cheers

Nick

Nick - whilst the very rear part of the mounting is similar to the TR250 one, part number 308223 as mentioned in a previous post,  it doesn't look quite the same.

I'm also intrigued to know how the mountings work as it seems to be neither TR5/6 nor 4A - the former would probably work with the correct bolt in mountings by removing the rings, but I can't see how the rings would work with the 4A chamfered/conical rubber mountings  - the 4A rubbers fit into the countersunk depressed bit  of the mounting - your rings look flat , unless I'm missing something.

Easy enough to change to the correct rear mounting - that is if you can find one!

cheers

Rich

it had “ TR6 3:7” written on it in paint pen.

Shouldn't it be a 3.45 ratio?

Regards

Bill 

21 minutes ago, Bill944T said:

it had “ TR6 3:7” written on it in paint pen.

Shouldn't it be a 3.45 ratio?

Regards

Bill 

I think 3.7 diffs were fitted to US spec TR6s
Regards
Ian