Just to make sure: paint code and finish windscreen frame and kamm tail

Dear all

It's probably been asked a thousand times before, but I can't find the answer at the moment: what is the correct paint code and exact finish (matt, satin ...) for 

(a) the windscreen frame 

(b) the kamm tail

It's for my '70 CP TR6, built late fall of '69 as a '70 model year in Mechelen/Malines (BE).

Many thanks in advance.

Jeroen

19 hours ago, JTY said:

Dear all

It's probably been asked a thousand times before, but I can't find the answer at the moment: what is the correct paint code and exact finish (matt, satin ...) for 

(a) the windscreen frame 

(b) the kamm tail

It's for my '70 CP TR6, built late fall of '69 as a '70 model year in Mechelen/Malines (BE).

Many thanks in advance.

Jeroen

Hi Jeroen 

This is what I copied from here a few years ago:- 

The original paint used was ICI Matt Black air drying paint reference 062/4523 used in conjunction with thinners ref 851/222. This information was published in Standard Triumph Newsletter no 203 for w/e 18/04/69.

Many thanks, all!

@Andrew During search, I bumped into one of your replies with pictures about where the black paint finishes in the inner wings and around the boot rubber. Unfortunately, the pictures aren't showing anymore. Any chance you still have them? Thanks.

Edited by JTY
typo

Hi Jeroen,

if you pm me your mailadress, I will send you the pics I have collected for this. 

The issue is if you put too many pics on the forum you cannot upload anymore.

Regards,

Waldi

1 hour ago, JTY said:

Many thanks, all!

@Andrew During search, I bumped into one of your replies with pictures about where the black paint finishes in the inner wings and around the boot rubber. Unfortunately, the pictures aren't showing anymore. Any chance you still have them? Thanks.

Jeroen,

Here's an album I've just created, if you click on each photo it gives you an option to download: https://www.flickr.com/photos/115740825@N05/albums/72157707683040355

Cheers, Andrew

16 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

Jeroen,

Here's an album I've just created, if you click on each photo it gives you an option to download: https://www.flickr.com/photos/115740825@N05/albums/72157707683040355

Cheers, Andrew

Thanks also! I need to do this on mine, and there was me thinking how careful I needed to be when masking up!

Gareth

'Saffy' must have been a last shift 'Friday Car!' ...What a couldn't careless bit of masking up!

Yes, Matt Black for an early CP car...although my painters re painted mine Satin Black back in 1988...I recall the original Matt Black on my car being like a Chalk board...trapping awful white polish marks on it! At least when I stopped by the paint shop I was in time to stop them painting my windscreen surround Black! Phew!

23 minutes ago, CP26309 said:

'Saffy' must have been a last shift 'Friday Car!' ...What a couldn't careless bit of masking up!

Yes, Matt Black for an early CP car...although my painters re painted mine Satin Black back in 1988...I recall the original Matt Black on my car being like a Chalk board...trapping awful white polish marks on it! At least when I stopped by the paint shop I was in time to stop them painting my windscreen surround Black! Phew!

Edit: actually, Saffy was built on 8 August 1970 which was a Saturday - you can't beat a bit of overtime! 

If you think that was bad, here's how they painted the matt black grille surround with a paintbrush..........I could give plenty more examples, but Saffy's no longer mine and sits in a private collection in Japan. 

That said, it's the evidenced story and reach-back of how these cars were put together back then and all rather endearing really.

55849496_10213945418004764_8974932449641

56595460_10213945417884761_3606199518342

Edited by Andrew Smith