Spring compressor

I want to make up a front coil spring compressor, I know its been on here recently but I just cannot find it now, I tried all the different models,  its a picture of a threaded rod, and an oblong block on the end that will mount to the 4  shock mount bolts, with a slot in the middle for the rod, could some kind person provide the dimensions of this block and holes please?

Also how long must the rod be to be able to release the spring with thread to spare?

If somebody on here the forum has made this, may I copy their design please?

John

Hi John,

Mine was very simple: a threaded rod m12 (or m16), with double nuts on top and bottom, the outer nuts are for safety, should the inner nuts shear off.

on top and bottom I used a steel plate with a hole in it, think it was 12 mm thick, that’s all.

Do not use small diameter rod (like m10 or 3/8”) and if you use imperial, use unc, not unf, so 1/2” unc or above.

And use the outer nuts to “follow” the inner nuts on close distance.

And use grease to reduce friction/galling/effort, also on the rings.

The design with the sperical bearings is much nicer off course, but I did not have the materials for that.

Waldi

Here are a couple of pictures of mine if they are of any use

P1000339.thumb.JPG.20b3af33a5ccd8d2257a2c7f69437a66.JPGP1000340.thumb.JPG.06ce60921e301c831657e55a097c6034.JPG

Many of these are just made from found scrap.  As noted, it is a fairly high stress application.  Hardware store threaded rod may not be adequate.  Mine was 1/2 inch UNC and it worked, but distorted the threads.  If you must use hardware store rod, use at least 1/2 inch, preferably larger.  Also, threaded couplers as Paul shows would be better than standard nuts.

Ed

SDC11419a.JPG

Edited by ed_h