If you were thinking of buying a new chassis for your TR6 would you buy a replica from CTM or the Ratco frame from USA? Or is there an alternative being sold anywhere else as both these cost around the same with shipping costs and obviously the USA one will incur import duty etc. The Ratco frame claims to have improvements over the original Triumph design which havent been done on the CTM chassis - has anyone driven a car with both these chassis to compare - I would love to hear forum members thoughts on this. 

Michael

Michael,

I have a new CTM chassis to put under my TR5 restoration that I'm about to start. It is reinforced in all the places that I could see that need it and can't think of anything else that the USA chassis might have on it to further improve it. 

Be aware that CTM will want you to supply a pair of front turrets to build into a new chassis for you  

Dave McD

I also have the CTM one fitted to my race car . They are full copies with the added strengthening gussets. Very nice piece of kit.

Not seen the Ratco in person.

Roy

I went through this last year for my 4A:

1/ Tony Racto went on retirement last year and took his workshop with him in the mountains. Lead-time is about 2 years: Order now and expect it to be ready for delivery by April 2021. CTM lead-time is about 9 months. 

2/ Ratco chassis are boxed similar to those of kitcars, nothing like CTM chassis 

3/ Shipping costs US-UK are horrendous 

4/ CTM will supply the turrets if you don't have them. Surcharge is £ 600

Edited by Geko
add

Has anyone made there own chassis using the bridge's and turrets as most of the brackets etc are available and generally the longer box sections that rot which in theory are the simplest part to make with the right kit. 

I have a mate who builds tubular replacement chassis who having helped me out with mine is "interested" having taken a few measurements is looking at the viability. 

I think repairing a section of chassis is ok but effectively making your own chassis but just grafting in some of the bracketry or turrets might make the guys at Swansea suck their teeth.

I know that CTM is approved as a replacement chassis manufacturer and supplier and they are available from there, but it's even a doubtful area if you swap another used chassis with your rotted out one. If you want to go that way I should research it before jumping into it.

Mick Richards 

When Rubery Owen stopped making chassis for TR`s one of the guys who used to work for them produced a run of his own chassis that were considerably beefed up and very well made. He made about a dozen and having seen one they are very good.

Stuart.

jeffstr5 155.jpg