Manifold gasket sealing compound?

Gents

I am just in the process of replacing my manifold gasket with a 'superior' type from one of the usual suppliers.

The old gasket was a 'standard' type, and was stuck to the throttle bodies in places, and clearly showing signs of 'blow by' at the exhaust ports.

Wanting (obviously) to avoid air leakage (inwards) on the throttle bodies, and issues on the (tubular) manifold joints, does anyone have any suggestions of sealing compound, or should the gasket be fitted dry, and with crossed fingers??

Thanks!!

Hi John,

before you install the gasket, test-fit the new exhaust mani and the TB’s with the nuts just tight and see if all flanges are close to the head-face. I would use a feeler gauge, say 0,10 mm (4 thou) for this.

The gasket, when conpressed, will absorb some un-evenness, but not say 0.5 mm (20 thou).

Waldi

Thanks Gents!

Waldi,

I have new nuts etc arriving shortly, and have now undergone some grinding/metal removal of the manifold flanges and much 'stud refurbishment' (removal of bent studs, replacements and thread re-cutting) to allow things to fit together without conflict, and (hopefully) not too many tears!!

At some time, the TBs and manifolds were 'fitted together' by 'adjusting' with a (presumably) large hammer!! :angry:

Very good John, result:)

You can (should) buy a good quality gasket, but if the gasket is not properly compressed everywhere, it can still leak.

Regarding alignment of the TB’s:

I do not have the alignment tool so aligned my 3 TB’s with a straight edge on top of the steel (plated) inlet tubes. That worked ok; I targeted for less than 0.2 mm (8 thou) or less, using a feeler gauge between straight edge and inlet tubes.

I have the standard CP linkage with 3 ball bealing rods, this set-up is not overly sensitive to some mis-alignment.

Regards,

Waldi