Steering control head

43 minutes ago, Richardtr3a said:

I am late to add to this thread but I have read it all over the last few weeks.

My indicators were  cancelling well. I was overhauling the steering and I changed the steering box. When  lining up the stator tube with the slot at 12 o'clock the full head assembly would not slide in correctly. If I  move the stator by rotating it to the left to a new position, the head slides on and the cancellation works, BUT only at full lock.

Nothing in the steering head has been changed. I rebuilt it years ago with a spare on the bench as a pattern. What has happened? It is the same head ,wiring, stator tube and steering wheel.

Thanks Richard & B

Cancelling is done by the rotation of the disc that is secured by the 3 grub screws into the steering wheel boss.

The disc that is retained has a 'finger' that links into aluminium surround (see 2nd photo in the 2nd post)  That 'finger needs to be at 6 o clock when you install the horn push assy and the steering must be straight ahead.

The slot alignment of stator tube to horn push tube, you will rotate once installed to get the chrome indicator lever at the 12 o clock posn - Then with a friend holding the horn push you tighten the nut at the bottom of the steering box that clamps the stator tube

So....

Steering straight ahead. - and do not move from this posn. during the installation.

Set cancelling finger at 6 oclock  (pointing down while the chrome indicator lever points up)

Install horn push assy - is easier if the stator tube is pulled up towards the driver so you can see what you are up to.

Push control head and stator tube into column.

Nip up the 3 boss grub screws.

Hold  horn push assy so indictaor chrome lever is at 12 o clock.

Tighten olive clamping nut - best done while someone holds the control head in the correct alignment as the nut is tightened as the things tends to rotate.

Cheers

Peter W

1 hour ago, Richardtr3a said:

I am late to add to this thread but I have read it all over the last few weeks.

My indicators were  cancelling well. I was overhauling the steering and I changed the steering box. When  lining up the stator tube with the slot at 12 o'clock the full head assembly would not slide in correctly. If I  move the stator by rotating it to the left to a new position, the head slides on and the cancellation works, BUT only at full lock.

Nothing in the steering head has been changed. I rebuilt it years ago with a spare on the bench as a pattern. What has happened? It is the same head ,wiring, stator tube and steering wheel.

Thanks Richard & B

Going from memory the usual problem here is the cancelling mechanism isn't directly opposite the indicator switch on the bootom of the installed control head. 

Again from memory. Undo the nut holding the stator tube in the steering box. Fit the control head to the stator tube. Ensure the cancelling mechanism is at the bottom of the control head in the 6 oçlock, opposite the indicator switch. Line the head up on the steering wheel and insert. Have someone hold the head in place while you do up the stator tube nut.

Peter W and I were writing at the same time. Same message, fortunately

Edited by John McCormack

Thank you all..........job done.and reassembled..........and it works. Would;not like to do that again..there is a place reserved in hell for the designer of this part. I was lucky as l had a long piece of cable running from the stator tube.and could never have done it without the photographs.

I am waiting for a long sunny period in which  to road test.......not soon then.

thanks

Scott

Very easy to fix Richard. Set steering straight ahead. Slacken off the three grub screws holding the head into the steering wheel. pull the whole assembly outwards until you can touch the thin disk (which was being clamped by the 3 screws). by rotating this disk, you move the center of self canceling around the wheel. You need to find the place where it does it equaly either side of center. Then, without moving it again push the assembly back into the steering wheel, & tighten up the three grub screws again.

Bob.

Thanks for the help. I had read the manual and thought that I had it correctly fitted.  

The important adjustments are the lever at 12.00 and the cancelling arm at 6.00. The orientation of the stator tube slot is not significant.??

I have been trying to knock down  a garden wall made of wine bottles and cement, without cutting myself. today. Back on the TR on Wednesday.

Thanks for the clear advice, Richard & B.

The orientation of the stator tube would normally be with the slot at 12:00, but it could be at 04:00, or 08:00   depending on where you attached the back plate onto the control head.

(3 screws - 3 ways it could go on)

Bob.