Car cover and new paintwork

I have issues with using certain breathable covers. The paint was fine before use and I went out one day to find every panel had what is called micro blisters looks like it had nettle stings tiny little bumps. I was heart broken and it ended up with a bare metal repaint as if it is there you can't only the affected area as the risk is you just chase it till you strip back.

As I understand it is caused by body filler being made up of talc powder and epoxy resin and this absorbs moisture  over time which swells and causes blisters. 

Basically you need air flow and the only way is to have a garage with airflow through it or warm and dry area. I bought a Carcoon which kept my car dry and ventilated through a deep snowy winter. Biggest issue was keeping snow from collapsing the cover onto the paint. It seems to be all about airflow, cotton cover in a dry garage works. Just keep the cover from getting damp.

Hope this helps. Ideally use a carcoon / car pod inside a garage for best results. Avoid cheapo breathable covers as they don't.

Hope this helps.

Rod.

Basically dont! Its got nothing to do with filler and everything to do with the solvents in the paint and the differences in air temperature and humidity, If you have fresh paint work then dont polish it for at least six months anyway, if the car is inside then get yourself an Airchamber , if its outside then get an external Carcoon or similar.

Stuart.

On 3/24/2019 at 9:35 AM, stuart said:

Basically dont! Its got nothing to do with filler and everything to do with the solvents in the paint and the differences in air temperature and humidity, If you have fresh paint work then dont polish it for at least six months anyway, if the car is inside then get yourself an Airchamber , if its outside then get an external Carcoon or similar.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart, 

So are you saying don't use a cover at all (even a breathable one) or just don't use one for the first 6 months after painting? Assume 2 pack paint. 

Phil

I wouldnt use one for at least six months to allow the solvents to escape and only then if its in somewhere thats reasonably well insulated otherwise your still going to get condensation between which is what ruins the paint.

Stuart.

In my view all weather is bad for paintwork! Leaving a car outside with no cover will suffer with sunlight or UV & with a cover possibly gives problems indicated previously. You cannot win really unless you are lucky enough to have a good garage. Outside Carcoons can suffer from wind problems also. Not all of us are able to have good covered space so have to compromise.

• 2 weeks later...