Harrington Rear Bumper Problem

Hi All,

Just got round to fitting my new ss Harrington bumpers. The front went on with no problems at all,  but the rear bumper returns are way out from the rear wings, it appears that the angles are wrong.

Am I missing something here ? anybody else had problems fitting rear bumpers from Harrington ?

Cheers.

Mark

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

That's strange to see. That's how the repro chrome ones fit!

We fitted a Harrington set a week or 2 back and they went straight on no issues.

Got them through TR Shop

No experience of TR6 bumpers , but earlier car ones are usually like that and pull in when you bolt them to the chassis bumper support - if they were too tight the other way, you would end up scratching the paintwork when you tried to fit.

I appreciate the profile of a TR6 bumper means it has less " give" in it compared to TR4/5 one , but to my untrained eye, that doesn't look too impossible - just a thought

Cheers

Rich

Hi Tom,

They came from Harringtons direct. I have sent them photos, they have asked for more along with dimensions.

Hi Mark,

it is possible that if you press then ends in against too much resistance the top and bottom surface of the bends may well kink up/down.

Contact the shop where you bought them or if all else fails contact Harringtons - they are usually very helpful.

Roger

Hi Roger,

Have been in touch with Harrington and they say that all their bumpers are checked for angles / dimensions prior to final polishing. They have asked for more photos / dimensions. Something is wrong that's for sure.

Cheers.

Mark.

38 minutes ago, Mark Ogram said:

Hi Rich,

Don't think there is enough "give" to pull in with bolts, think something will bend.

Mark - just try gently pushing it in to see how much give there is - you may find it better to loosen the rear mounting if it's done up tight at the moment - how is the fit between bumper and body along the back edge? Is it even? On the earlier TR4/5 bumpers where the rear is slightly curved, pulling the sides in tends to force the rear out  - sometimes you need this , sometimes you don't in order to get a consistent gap between rear panel and bumper - I imagine its similar on a 6 one, but with less give as it looks a much stiffer profile.

Go carefully and try it manually - I don't think you will crease the bumper like this

cheers

Rich 

Edited by rcreweread
clarification
29 minutes ago, Grahamgl said:

Mark,

Do nothing until you have heard back from Harrington.

Graham

Graham,

Agreed, don't want to damage it.

Mark.

1 hour ago, rcreweread said:

Mark - just try gently pushing it in to see how much give there is - you may find it better to loosen the rear mounting if it's done up tight at the moment - how is the fit between bumper and body along the back edge? Is it even? On the earlier TR4/5 bumpers where the rear is slightly curved, pulling the sides in tends to force the rear out  - sometimes you need this , sometimes you don't in order to get a consistent gap between rear panel and bumper - I imagine its similar on a 6 one, but with less give as it looks a much stiffer profile.

Go carefully and try it manually - I don't think you will crease the bumper like this

cheers

Rich 

Rich,

Will wait until I hear back from Harrington, don't want to risk damaging the bumper (or my rear wings).

Cheers.

Mark.

Just out of interest have you fitted the inside wing bracket yet as the adjustment on that will push the section of the wing where the bolt hole is out quite a way.

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 574.jpg

3 minutes ago, stuart said:

Just out of interest have you fitted the inside wing bracket yet as the adjustment on that will push the section of the wing where the bolt hole is out quite a way.

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 574.jpg

Hi Stuart,

Thanks.

That's interesting. The car only had a bracket on the nearside. I have a drivers side bracket coming today. Will fit it and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers.

Mark.

They all do this to a greater or lesser extent. You need to fit the rear bit first and then the sides. You then tighten everything up and it all pulls in together.

When I did the rear bumper I originally tried the repro side pieces but they were so badly out that the gap in the joints was unacceptable. So in the end I got the old ones rechromed and they were much better. However I still had to fit it in stages otherwise the sides would have stuck out too much like yours.

Daz

Hello Mark

I notice that Moss list 2 different "joint washers - centre to corners"  for UK and US cars ? (though the US spec ones are not available from Moss) I don't suppose there a different thickness ? and if this has any relevance to Harrington bumpers ?  

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/washer-bumper-joint-centre-to-corner-623824.html?assoc=128212

just a thought 

regards

Matt

2 hours ago, Mark Ogram said:

Hi Stuart,

Thanks.

That's interesting. The car only had a bracket on the nearside. I have a drivers side bracket coming today. Will fit it and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers.

Mark.

If you look closely at the bracket where it mounts to the chassis those two holes are slotted to allow adjustment, at the furthest out it will push the wing out to facilitate bumper fitting (also helps to cover the wider wheels!)

Stuart.

13 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

It looks like the wheel arch lower lip is sitting well inboard of the tyre and  needs pushing out to match the bumper. 

Precisely my point above.

Stuart.

I found out today that the founder, Mr Harrington, got divorced from his Vietnamese wife last year, the latter is now running the company, supposedly it's business as usual but the Trader I was speaking with today tells me that the quality has dipped significantly. The guy I was speaking with has been selling & fitting Harrington bumpers for several years now and has a lot of experience with their products.

Finally sorted,  with a little (or a lot) of adjustment here and there.

I shimmed the rear (of the 3) connecting bolts, that join the return corners to the centre section, and that greatly reduced the "splay".

Thanks all for the reponses.

Cheers.

Mark.

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

Good result!

I'm thinking of getting some but want to keep the number plate light/housing for the early look, shame they don't make a ss housing...they don't do they? 

Gareth