CP4 auction today.

Yes, I will be interested to see what if fetches for sure.

A nice restored Sunbeam Tiger for sale too? 

r

Edited by Gary Flinn

It shows the hammer at £26,000, but I suspect not sold as estimate was £30,000 - £40,000 and in the remarks it say Sold:N/A

UPDATE

Auctioneer staff just called me and said did not reach its reserve but seller has since negotiated sale, actual sale price will be on the auction site tomorrow.

Edited by MikeThomas

Peter, I would have been interested in it if I hadn't already had my 5. 

Did anyone notice where you have to put the ignition key?

Best wishes,Mike

Edited by MikeThomas
4 minutes ago, Tom Boyd said:

Including fees..

(Buyers premium at this one was 15%)

That sort of makes it worse. I thought they were £40k+ cars. 

Edited by Hamish
Detail

I've lost the plot now,.

I've been sat watching very nice mid number TR5s pull in between 35 and 50k (supposedly) at various auctions, and TR250s for auction as TR5s and when the vendor questioned description changed to American TR5s or 250s refurbished to TR5 standard, and then advertised as such. And that's not even counting the TR4As and other mixed parentage cars who have been blended into the TR5 mix with their owners trembling every time discussion of "is it a 5 or not ?"

Whereas here is CP4 a bona fida 5 and documented up to the hilt factory ex press car and it struggles to make £29,500 ! From the photos you can see it's got issues and it's likely it will cost another £15k to put into something like the condition it needs (assuming it's underneath and chassis is half decent) but then you would have a nice TR5 with definite provenance ! Please explain it to me.  

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Bet it is back on the market for a substantial premium when it has been restored.

Sometimes I think a well polished turd will sell better than an original car needing work.  I would have thought that a car with this history would have gone for more, but maybe that is what a lot of potential buyers may have thought so didn't give it any serious consideration.

Neil

Prices are now approaching restoration costs, and I reckon condition trumps pedigree, at least where TR250s vs. TR5s are concerned since the differences are losing their significance with the passage of time.

The rarity factor will preserve a price edge for the TR5 where collectors are concerned ( i.e. hoarders rather than users ). Not a member of that club myself, I'll take a rust/accident free TR250  over anything but the same in a TR5, the latter being an extremely rare beast ( if not a unicorn ) and then not for more than a token premium. No sour grapes here, just a quite content Webered TR250 owner who gets the enjoyable goods plus a stripe to boot.

Cheers,

Tom 

20 minutes ago, Stagpowered said:

Bet it is back on the market for a substantial premium when it has been restored.

Sometimes I think a well polished turd will sell better than an original car needing work.  I would have thought that a car with this history would have gone for more, but maybe that is what a lot of potential buyers may have thought so didn't give it any serious consideration.

Neil

Pretty sure i can say it won't go back on market once sorted :) 

20 minutes ago, Peter V W said:

Tom,

where does the ignition key go?

Peter

looking at the pics, under the steering column as later tr6 :) 

Ok, its an early car and a press car, but in the grand scheme of things, what would you expect a premium to be for a the car?   So if a restored, regular TR5 is a 50,000 pound car, this car restored would be worth ?? as a press car?  60 ( a 20% premium)…..70?....80?     I've been a lifelong TR fanatic  (owned 27 of them from 3s to 6's) and the press car gets kind of a meh.  Interesting but not really worth too much more than a regular one especially in project form.   Just my opinion of course and I'm across the pond.  

As much as is made of the fakes that exist, and they do, I think the actual number of those cars is a far smaller percentage than they're made out to be.  I mean, in reading this thread, if I were an outsider interested in a TR5 (not the press car, just looking and learning for instance)  I'd walk out of fear that the vast majority of TR5's advertised are fake.  Caution is the nature of the day in the entire classic car market these days given prices.

I guess I'm lucky I have a CKD car I found here in the states from an  owner going back to 1972 and when I went to look I knew where to look for things like the commission number stamped on the frame before that became more known so have some peace of mind.

13 hours ago, Tom Boyd said:

Including fees..

I think that price was the hammer price so plus fees on top that makes it expensive for what it was as its lost most of its originality. Plus theres a lot of rot visible just in those small pictures.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
1 hour ago, stuart said:

I think that price was the hammer price so plus fees on top that makes it expensive for what it was as its lost most of its originality. Plus theres a lot of rot visible just in those small pictures.

Stuart.

Nope, includes the fees Stuart. I think it shows less VAT....

CP4 is a great historical car and hopefully will be as it left the factory in the future. It's what a car like this deserves :)

Tom

Just now, Tom Boyd said:

Nope, includes the fees Stuart. I think it shows less VAT....

CP4 is a great historical car and hopefully will be as it left the factory in the future. It's what a car like this deserves :)

Tom

By your replies Im assuming the car is coming to you for restoration? Your going to have fun trying to return it to proper spec as per original which is what it should be.

Stuart.

20 minutes ago, stuart said:

By your replies Im assuming the car is coming to you for restoration? Your going to have fun trying to return it to proper spec as per original which is what it should be.

Stuart.

I know the guy that purchased it Stuart, not sure what's happening at the moment.

I do know the way H&H show the sale price is not the hammer. We bought and sold a car at the same auction and the hammer price was not what was shown on the website.

You are right, it needs a lot to bring it back to spec :)

Tom

39 minutes ago, tr graham said:

I viewed and saw 40k plus To restore, that is if you could source the necessary original panels , and other bits and bobs , necessary for a press car .

good luck tom

graham

Graham

you didn’t by any change look at the D type recreation did you. Really fancied that. Went for reasonable money in the end. 

H