Mr Alan roberts

Guest Mr Alan roberts

Guest Mr Alan roberts

Can anyone help me. I have a tr 6   1968 imported from the u s a. I am at the end of the restoration and I am confused about the badge on the front of the grill. It is not your usual tr6 badge. Although I have the backing plate which is

aluminium with R. Enamel England stamped on it, the face is missing. Can anyone give me information on this. 

Edited by Mr Alan roberts
Need to upload picture 2.2 mb and it won't let me

Alan, on page 163 of Bill Piggot’s book “Triumph” you will find the badging details by model year. The vitreous enamel TR6 medallion on the front grille of early TR6s (part number 717060) changed to a cheaper metal foil decal with the introduction of the CR/CF series cars.

I believe RENAMEL was the name of the company based in London which made the early vitreous medallions but I stand to be corrected.

It would appear all you have left is the aluminium backing.

Moss have the vitreous enamel TR6 medallions listed (£216) https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/badge-plinth-assembly-enamel-badge-grille-717060.html but they are out of stock. 

The later foil badge and plinth assembly part number ZKC1224 is in stock and considerably cheaper (£71) https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/badge-plinth-assembly-foil-badge-grille-zkc1224.html 

Hope this helps.

Martin

3 hours ago, BritishRacingGreen said:

Alan, on page 163 of Bill Piggot’s book “Triumph” you will find the badging details by model year. The vitreous enamel TR6 medallion on the front grille of early TR6s (part number 717060) changed to a cheaper metal foil decal with the introduction of the CR/CF series cars.

I believe RENAMEL was the name of the company based in London which made the early vitreous medallions but I stand to be corrected.

It would appear all you have left is the aluminium backing.

Moss have the vitreous enamel TR6 medallions listed (£216) https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/badge-plinth-assembly-enamel-badge-grille-717060.html but they are out of stock. 

The later foil badge and plinth assembly part number ZKC1224 is in stock and considerably cheaper (£71) https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/badge-plinth-assembly-foil-badge-grille-zkc1224.html 

Hope this helps.

Martin

Hi Martin,

I have a 1973 CR TR6 built in Jan 73 it came with the vitreous enamel badge which it still has! Derek, I expect can tell us the full story on these badges and I expect that JRT used up all their old stock before going to the foil type?

Bruce.

Martin and All

Flippin eck those enamel version are expensive, though the £215 includes the plinth (£57 for the enamel badge)

I had a similar problem (see pic of old and new) and just got the badge as the plinth was accepatble, slight pitting but thats just "patina" and anyway i think it will mount upside down, lol.

But i'm sure my badge was about £12 or £15 tops, off the Bay.

Now clearly its different and not as good as the original, the chrome lettering being thinner, but unfortunately i cannot find who i got it from which is annoying.

Looked on the Bay and there is a used badge and plinth for £15 so if you can find a resonable badge or even a new one is better than £215.

Cheers

Keith

TR6 Badge.jpg

Just to throw a spanner in the works my 69 had a foil badge when I purchased 12 years ago, both plinth and badge were in a bad condition. I have since purchased an original plinth and enamel badge from our friends in the States. Both in excellent condition. Cost with taxes and postage just under £60.

Mark.

Edited by Mark69
6 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Hi Martin,

I have a 1973 CR TR6 built in Jan 73 it came with the vitreous enamel badge which it still has! Derek, I expect can tell us the full story on these badges and I expect that JRT used up all their old stock before going to the foil type?

Bruce.

Hi Bruce

You’re probably right. Your January 73 TR6 was one of the first CRs and one of just 2246 CR cars made in 1973 according to Bill Piggot. Whereas BL made almost 13000 CF cars in 1973.

You can imagine if the BL managers miscalculated stocks, even a box of 200 of the old style vitreous badges would keep the CR production line going until February 1973!

Martin

Why not just by some gloss enamel paint and build up a thick layer up to and over the ali letters, leave it to cure for a week or two on top a radiator and buff it up to a nice shine. Lot cheaper and worth a go.

Andy