TR 4 rear deck assembly seams

Hello All

Am correcting some paintwork snags on newly rebuilt 1963 TR 4.

The rear deck assembly seams are currently skimmed over with filler - both have hairline cracks. I think they should have a seam showing and have a flexible filler as per the reference screen shot below.

Anyone have a good close up photo of what the seams should look like and any suggestions for the filler to  use?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 15.19.04.png

First thing is dont use filler as it will crack again, I lead right over the seam and then file the line back in afterwards.

Stuart.

Marks TR5 367.jpg

Marks TR5 368.jpg

Marks TR5 369.jpg

Marks TR5 370.jpg

Marks TR5 371.jpg

Marks TR5 373.jpg

Marks TR5 375.jpg

Marks TR5 376.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hi Stuart

I have been planning to lead similar joints during my rebuild, but I have been concerned that the corrosive nature of the tinning paste would get into seam, where it would not be easily removed by usual washing and neutralisation steps, thereby creating a hidden corrosion pocket.

Can you give any recommendations as to how eliminate or minimise this risk of ongoing corrosion between the two layers of metal? 

Where this is a new joint would you tin and neutralised the visible edge of both sides before spot welding and then complete the loading after?

Thanks, hope you pick this up despite the date of the original post

5 hours ago, RobinTR said:

Hi Stuart

I have been planning to lead similar joints during my rebuild, but I have been concerned that the corrosive nature of the tinning paste would get into seam, where it would not be easily removed by usual washing and neutralisation steps, thereby creating a hidden corrosion pocket.

Can you give any recommendations as to how eliminate or minimise this risk of ongoing corrosion between the two layers of metal? 

Where this is a new joint would you tin and neutralised the visible edge of both sides before spot welding and then complete the loading after?

Thanks, hope you pick this up despite the date of the original post

Spot weld the joint together with weld-thru primer between the joint first of all then clean into the "V" of the join with abrasive so your back to bare metal then tin the area with Fryolux solder paint then lead fill and file back then put the join line in and finally clean down the whole area with some quality spirit wipe. Then prime with Bondarust.  Ive been doing this for a lot of years and not had a problem.

Stuart.