TR4a exhaust manifold into TR3a

Another question, I have a TR4a engine with manifolds to use in my TR3a, can I use the twin outlet exhaust manifold, is there enough room, and if so which exhaust system do I need to use.

Ta chaps, Ralph

TR4A front engine plate will not fit sidescreen car.

Exhaust & Inlet manifolds * Yes it fits.  Use TR4A exhaust down pipe and first Y piece as far as the rear g/box mount then the fun starts as you have to get through the cruciform.  You can cobble a standard TR2-4 front pipe onto that Y piece to get the pipe going in the right direction to go through the chassis hole and avoiding the chassis and gearbox.

Cheers

Peter W

Thanks Peter, that's ok then, got a good manifold with the engine and I thought I was going to have to search for a TR3 item. I`ve got a front plate ready to fit when I re-build the engine.

Ralph

If it were me.....I think you would be better off with a real sidescreen exhaust manifold and system as it will fit without bodging and hopefully not knock every time you change speed or direction.  That issue is something all sidescreen owners dread with exhausts.  You may also need to be sure the brake switch (girling cars) does not get cooked.   If the 4A exhaust is good then there is a customer out there as 4A exhaust manifolds crack with boring regularity. TR2-3 exhaust manifolds are durable and come up for sale regularly. Between free and, recently £ 40 at Stoneleigh.  You could even try the swap area of this forum.

When you build the engine do not forget the block breather is plugged on a TR4A engine.  Lots on here about removing the plug.

Cheers

Peter W

PS Do you also have the TR4A inlet manifold?  Which carbs will you be using?  If using the orig H type from TR2-3 they will be close to the inner wing so full sized air cleaners cannot be fitted.  Nice long inlet though from a racers viewpoint.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
3 hours ago, peejay4A said:

If you want to part with the 4a manifold Ralph, I’m interested. 

Pete - If Ralph doesn't want to part with his, I've got a spare one fully refurbished - let me know if interested.

Ralph - I've also got a spare 3A/4 manifold  - ditto

cheers

Rich

21 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

If it were me.....I think you would be better off with a real sidescreen exhaust manifold and system as it will fit without bodging and hopefully not knock every time you change speed or direction.  That issue is something all sidescreen owners dread with exhausts.  You may also need to be sure the brake switch (girling cars) does not get cooked.   If the 4A exhaust is good then there is a customer out there as 4A exhaust manifolds crack with boring regularity. TR2-3 exhaust manifolds are durable and come up for sale regularly. Between free and, recently £ 40 at Stoneleigh.  You could even try the swap area of this forum.

When you build the engine do not forget the block breather is plugged on a TR4A engine.  Lots on here about removing the plug.

Cheers

Peter W

PS Do you also have the TR4A inlet manifold?  Which carbs will you be using?  If using the orig H type from TR2-3 they will be close to the inner wing so full sized air cleaners cannot be fitted.  Nice long inlet though from a racers viewpoint.

I think it may be easier then to get the correct manifold, so it looks as if I`m in the market for a 3a/4 exhaust manifold, and have a 4a manifold to swap/sell.

I bought a complete manifold with carbs from a 4, H6s on a log type manifold so I should be ok there. I was going to run the TR4 paper element filters on them rather than the wire gauze washable type fitted to 3s as I suspect they will be better at their job. Would like to fit K&N type but cannot justify the price at this stage as there is plenty of other stuff to spend the money on.

Ignore most of the previous post.  You know what its like when you have been collecting bits for years, and anyway my excuse is my memory must be going a bit with my advancing years. Just been out to the shed to check on the condition of the 4A manifold before offering it to anyone, which is good with all the studs and no visible cracks, and right next to it was a 3 exhaust manifold. Can`t remember where it came from unless it was with a parts car I dismantled some time ago, but anyway problem solved, I can just buy a standard system so happy days.

Ralph.

1 hour ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I was going to run the TR4 paper element filters on them rather than the wire gauze washable type fitted to 3s as I suspect they will be better at their job. Would like to fit K&N type but cannot justify the price at this stage as there is plenty of other stuff to spend the money on.

20170713_172501.thumb.jpg.22ed9db8209eca4b61ef45232cef7dea.jpg Yep, that's what I did too.   I painted the plated metal black to improve appearance.

Bob.