Stub axle replacement

Following my annual service I have found I need to replace wheel bearings and stub axle on one side.  I will be getting some Timken bearings but does anyone know whether the Moss stub axles and felt seals are currently of suitable quality as I have heard that there have been issues in the past with them.

Also has anyone had any success in tapping out the axles with the vertical link in place (as described in the Haynes manual) as in the (distant) past I have always had to remove the link and press out the axle.

Hi Mike,

I fitted new vertical links/stubs/ bearings and felt seals on my 4A 4 years ago and all going well at present.

When you go to the shop to get the bearings and stubby fit then on the counter to ensure that the stubby is not too tight - there have been tight ones.

I would be concerned if the stubby came out easily insitu. It is usually a mighty effort on the bench to shift them.

Examine the bottom (trunnion) tread for corrosion and wear.  No corrosion pitting and uniform thread form is required.

The felt seal may be too thick - simply cut the felt down to be just thicker than the metal case.

The listed  bearings that Moss have seem too cheap. Ask around

Roger

Edited by RogerH