Differences in seat frames ???

Hi there, does anyone out there know what the differences are in the TR3 and 3A seat bases (frames). I bought the new seat bases a couple of years ago thinking that they were all the same. I am about to order the seat cover kit and have just seen that there are different part numbers (and prices) for the seat bases up to TR3 and those for the 3a. I knew that there was more padding on the 3a but thought that was the only difference  but I guess its more than that.

In Roger Williams book "How to restore...….." he states that the seat bases were all the same but the covers varied. Also he talks of using a plywood and foam base rather than the spring bases used originally for more comfort but I have been unable to find a supplier of these, does anyone know where these can be purchased?.

Any help appreciated.

Ralph.

816997806_RHside2.thumb.JPG.8419a3e9190cc15d08e8cbe47d62e133.JPG

TR2 & 3 seat cushions are squarer at the front corners than TR3A, however they use the same (AFAIK) frames, so are interchangable.

Before I switched to bucket seats I had one of each in my '3, both covered with the same covers (from the TR shop).

Once the covers were on it was hard to tell the difference.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

The original springs if in good condition are the best by far. You sit "in" the original sprung seats not "On" the foam and new sprung bases.

Iain

5 hours ago, iain said:

The original springs if in good condition are the best by far. You sit "in" the original sprung seats not "On" the foam and new sprung bases.

Iain

I don't have any springs and was thinking that the Foam alternative that Roger Williams mentioned in his book might be a; more comfortable and b; cheaper than the current new bases.

More confused now as my seats look more like the ones Foster shows as being for TR2/3 with squared off top of backrest, but there was some writing on one of the covering bags declaring it to be part no901208 TR3a fixed seat, which would appear to be correct, unless they have been labelled incorrectly.20190316_164835.thumb.jpg.2e0f1b5e0d3ccb353a34937e2dae8b78.jpg

The base part looks wrong for either 2/3/3A  the sideways pressings should go all the way across.

Similar (but again not quite the same) as TR4.  Perhaps they are reproduction ones ?

Bob

All I can add is that my 3a has a tilting backrest for the drivers seat. 

I drove a friends car with foam seat bases....I’m  5’ 9 and my head was too high for the screen and you are really roly poly on the top of the seat...most unpleasant. The owner hated them and changed them rapidly.....he’s over 6ft.

H that’s an optional extra.....usually reserved for the Pax only :-)

Edited by iain
2 hours ago, Lebro said:

The base part looks wrong for either 2/3/3A  the sideways pressings should go all the way across.

Similar (but again not quite the same) as TR4.  Perhaps they are reproduction ones ?

Bob

Yes they are definitely re-pro, my concern was that if I ordered 3a seat covers they wouldn`t fit the frames, but I am going to chance it, might just need a bit more or less padding here and there, and I will go for the proper seat springs as there seems to be some negative concern over the foam types even if I could find any. Thanks for all your help.

5 hours ago, iain said:

I drove a friends car with foam seat bases.............. and you are
really roly poly on the top of the seat...most unpleasant.

That perfectly sums up my experience with repro seat squabs.
A feeling of instability. They were early TR4 squabs, so slightly
more shallow than the TR3 equivalent and should, logically, be
a little more stable.

AlanR

I feel happier now, thanks foster461, apart from yours having a much nicer pressed base, the actual seat back looks much more like the ones I have, so I`m confident now I have the correct frames.

Just seen there are 2 more like mine on ebay (item no 312516287366), from an outfit called moto-build. Must be where mine came from 2 years ago but I only paid 200 for mine back then, they have gone up now to not much less than Moss. 

Looks Good.