Soft top snap popper tool

Hi,

Need to fit some new press poppers to my TR6 soft top and cover.

Does anybody know where I can get a cheap pair of the plier type tool to fit these.

Seen some on eBay but not 100% sure what type to get.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

Moss do a basic popper kit  Item #80  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/weather-equipment/hoods-hood-frames-fittings/hood-frame-tonneau-tr4a.html

Easy to do on the bench but a bugger when hanging upside down etc.

There some quite expensive pliers that are good to use but many beer tokens.

Roger

13 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Dave,

Moss do a basic popper kit  Item #80  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/weather-equipment/hoods-hood-frames-fittings/hood-frame-tonneau-tr4a.html

Easy to do on the bench but a bugger when hanging upside down etc.

There some quite expensive pliers that are good to use but many beer tokens.

Roger

Thanks Roger, have seen that type, need to do some on the hood in situ and thought the plier type would be better.

Didn't think it would be too easy to use that type with the hood on the car, maybe I'm wrong though.

Dave

3 hours ago, cookie said:

Thanks Roger, have seen that type, need to do some on the hood in situ and thought the plier type would be better.

Didn't think it would be too easy to use that type with the hood on the car, maybe I'm wrong though.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I used the cheap hammer type when fitting mine with the hood on the car. Used my newly painted boot as a bench :huh:. A thick blanket folded over on the boot, sheet of plywood on top of the blanket, couple of big towels folded on top of the plywood, then a length of 2x4 on top of the towels. The receptor part of the tool was sat on top of the 2x4 and the whole mechanism moved from one side to the other to do the side snaps. Worked fine at spreading the load and absolutely no damage to the paintwork.

Cheers,

Sean

Perhaps I am missing something but my local fabric store (which I would not normally be seen dead in but SWMBO likes to shop there) sells pliars-like tools for punching holes in leather etc and for installing snap fasteners. They dont cost much and dont need a hammer.

Stan

7 hours ago, foster461 said:

Perhaps I am missing something but my local fabric store (which I would not normally be seen dead in but SWMBO likes to shop there) sells pliars-like tools for punching holes in leather etc and for installing snap fasteners. They dont cost much and dont need a hammer.

Stan

Hi Stan, Just to clarify, it’s not making the holes that’s the issue, it’s the crimping of the fasteners once the holes have been made.

Quite easy with a cheap small punch if it can be done on a bench. I need to replace a couple below the side window with the hood in situ, 

Dave

Dave, I think these are the same poppers as the Spitfire hood, is that right? I used "Prym" pliers which take a variety of inserts to do different fasteners, and other eyelets & press studs. You get the plier inserts when you buy some eyelets, etc. from them. I find the pliers slightly less hit and ... err ... miss than a hammer and durable dot tool. I bought Prym 15mm press fastners, such as these antique look ones (so they don't stand out visually, like plain stainless). The 15mm refers to the overall diameter, not the stud-receptacle interface like you'd think it should. If you have a local sewing shop, they may have these and you could take one in to check. No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Cheers, Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Got some PRYM crimpers. They work great with the PRYM studs, but just to let people know they are not man enough to crimp the poppers that come with the hood cover supplied by Rimmers. The brass stud in these poppers is made of thicker brass and the PRYM crimpers will not fully crimp them.

For these the hammer type tool or the (expensive) proper crimper will be needed.

Dave

I managed to use the hammer style tool in situ, I had the hood undone at the rear so I could lift it up and put something in the space behind the seats to rest a vice on and used that as something to hit against. 

Gareth