Clutch rebuild/fitting, grease.

You will probably get a range of differing answers on here !

Personally I leave them dry, and very clean.  If you must lubricate then use a dry one eg graphite dust , or "DrySlide"

Bob.

Hi Russell,

until recently I put them together dry and they appeared to work.

For the last few occasions I have used the 'Red' grease as supplied.  Applied very thinly on the splines to keep corrosion at bay.

The usual LM grease would do I am sure.

Roger

I ve used Molycote, just a light smear, nothing excess. It will leave a thin low friction film for some time.

But as Bob says, you may get several different recommendations;)

Waldi

Hi Russel (?),

your question gives me an idea for another project and I want the ask for your assistance, please:

when you put the release bearing and sleeve/collar from the gear box cover, is / was this well greased, oily or try?

Reason for my question is:

the last days I modified 2 gearbox covers, one you our hydraulik "Sachs" project (left),

one I made shorter for a simple Sachs release bearing (right) with therefor made sleeve (middle).

P1120143-b.JPG.61d2991e20638e34f6f7909e72fa533a.JPG

On both there is a drill on the ground of the guidance tube, I suppose it is to oil the sleeve on the tube with lost oil from the not 100% sealed gear box lip seal.....

The old seals habe been outside tin metal, pressed in cast iron - and maybe it was never the plan to get this 100% sealed - to oil the sleeve.

Please could you have a close look, report and get part of our hydraulic project.

Ciao/Cheers, Marco

Hi Marco,

the drain hole could also be there to avoid any oil passing (leaking) the lip-seal will drip on the friction plate.

Regards,

Waldi

Hi Waldi,

you share what I realised with Russel's question:

this is to oil the sleeve as a construction detail - or it is a overflow for the case of a worn seal.

And this is what I have to make shure on your hydraulik unit project!

Russel does not know, he helped me very much to realise this.

Ciao Marco