I have an ongoing problem with the rear brakes. The drums feel like they are square as you come to a halt. I have had the drums machined, and I have replaced the return springs and the holder springs on the shoes. I have fitted new retaining clips to the slave cylinders and greased them. The steel brake lines to the slave cylinders were replaced when the car was rebuilt. The brake shoes still do not seem to be retracting. I can adjust them with the adjusters so that the drum rotates freely but it seems that the first application of the brakes has them binding again. It seem like the slave cylinders are not moving freely.

I had the backing plates powder coated when the car was rebuilt and I have done some sanding of the coating in case the thickness of that is stopping the cylinders from sliding. I am wondering whether the modern brake line is too stiff and is preventing the cylinders from moving. I seem to recall pictures of one model of Triumph where the brake lines were coiled before the slave cylinder which would allow more movement. Whatever the problem is, it also causes issues with the handbrake. All contributions gratefully received!

Hi, not sure I understand: what does "drums feel like they are square" mean? 

" it also causes issues with the handbrake": what issue?

Does it do same in reverse?

Is the master cylinder in good condition? 

I would go back and remove the powder coating from

all around the wheel cylinder area, and would then make sure that

the cylinder can slide freely.

Sometimes a 'Step' can form years of use use and cause problems.

John.

P.S.a name would be nice!

Also look to see if the handbrake lever has worn a groove in the back plate where it swivels, this will stop the cylinder sliding properly as well. Weld it up and grind it smooth again makes all the difference.

Stuart.