Ex-USA Import. DVLA registration success

Success. Have recently received registration for my ex-USA TR4A import. 4 weeks and that is with a glitch. Am sharing my story for interest and if its of help to others. Texas car imported in May 2018, still in many bits but started the DVLA process as its nearing being roadworthy. Famous last words. 

After purchase I became aware that the VIN had an invalid number and knew that this would cause a problem in registration. USA title, commission plate and thus NOVA had a VIN of CTC-7xx222-L. Too many numerics. Contacted BMHT requesting a search on the engine number. Not possible but very helpful archivist suggested initial numbers were correct for model and year and suggested a search ignoring the final '2'. Bingo, my engine and body numbers corresponded to search. On strip down I found the factory commission plate tucked away under the wiper motor. 

Explained the situation to DVLA in my application (1st Feb) which contained usual stuff plus Heritage Certificate and photo of the car, factory commission plate (riveted back in its correct place) and engine number photo. Also sent a V112 Declaration of exception from MOT for a vehicle of that age. Also advised that colour had changed and steering changed to RH drive. 

Initial reject (received 21st Feb). They needed the NOVA changed to the correct number and gave me the phone number of the NOVA car team at HMRC. Oh dear I thought (or words to that effect), this will be a problem. They also wanted the original Heritage Certificate to verify date of manufacture. 

Spoke to NOVA team on the phone. Explained situation and they couldn't have been more helpful. Whilst I was on the phone they went into their database, deleted the extra 2 and corrected the NOVA. (honest they did!). Resubmitted next day, 22nd Feb.

Received confirmation of successful registration with registration number. (dated 28th Feb). V5 followed a few days later.   Car built in Oct 1966, USA title registered in 1967. They gave me a 1966 'D' registration. All done in one month. I call that good service. Well done and many thanks to DVLA and HMRC. 

Minor snags.

1. Original Heritage Certificate was returned but stamped DVLA with the allocated reg number handwritten on it.

2. Car now needs completing with target of April/May on the road. 

David B

Crikey, well done David, it's nice to hear a positive side to what is often considered a bureaucratic nightmare....good luck with getting her completed..

If anybody has any problems dealing with the DVLA or wants some help registering your car then please contact Graham Andrews, the club's V765 Registration Officer on v765@tr-register.co.uk. He is very knowledgeable, helpful and he knows who to talk to to get things fixed.

Mick