Hi keith

welcome to the forum.

If it is a new spring it is probably too long.

With the spring and plunger in place you only need a small amount sticking out for it to do its job.

The newer springs are longer and do appear stiffer.

Use a tie wrap to hold it in till the last moment.

Roger

If it is not too long then most mechanics fit the ball and spring using thick grease to hold them in place during assembly.

Try compressing the pin and spring in first of all in a vice, if it goes solid before the pin is more or less flush with the lever then take a turn off the spring, repeat until your happy. Then using a small cable tie pull it tight so it holds the pin in flush then with a dob of grease round the bottom of the stick insert the stick into place with a sharp smack on the top straight down, this will dislodge the cable tie which can then be cut off, dont let the stick come up again and fit the spring and cap.

Stuart.

I ran without this spring & plunger for a while, then went through the painful process of installing  it for the sake of originality.

Have to say I couldn't notice any difference between installed or omitted. Maybe the assembly quietens gearstick rattle-but I have Monza exhausts so I'd never notice it.

Edited by Mike C