Rattling gear lever

Have been experiencing a problem that is getting worse. I have a significant gear lever rattle in 2nd and 3rd when under load and less so, but also in 4th when going uphill. The noise mostly goes away when I hold the lever, but not ideal. Not sure if this just dampens the rattle.

Is there a possible quick fix or is this gearbox recon time ($$$)?

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

firstly check that you have spring and plunger (16 & 17) in stalled https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/gearboxes-components/gearboxes-external-components-tr2-4a.html

Repack with grease  the gear stick ball into its socket.  £

If this doesn't sort it then you have wear in the box £££££££

Roger

Always worth trying Rogers suggestion re the plunger & spring but from the description of 2nd & 3rd under load I fear it may not resolve your problem....

Worth checking the front UJ on the propshaft just to rule it out.

Chris

I have a copy of a US dealer service bulletin which recommends that dealers put a short piece of rubber hose over the gearlever to dampen the rattle, I havent tried this yet as mine has just started rattling (post service where the timing was adjusted) Might try the retardation trick first, then the spring and in desperation the rubber hose damper...

Has anyone else tried this??

Just an update. I replaced the spring on the gear lever. I bought both spring and plunger. but plunger did not fit into the hole and the old one looked fine. The old spring was broken in two and very compressed. I cut off 2 coils from the new spring, used the selotape and twist method to reinstall.

What a difference. The gearbox is completely silent in 2nd and 3rd. There is still a slight vibration in 4th, but I can live with that.

I'll retard timing and check UJ next.

Thanks all for the great advice.

Andrew