Rear lever arm shock absorbers

Could somebody please confirm that I am not going mad! A couple of weeks ago I took the lever arms off my 5 and marked the n/s unit with a label for future ID and sent them of to a reputable firm for reconditioning and upgrade(15%). I got them back today and tried to fit them. N/S no problem - arm moves from upright, down, clockwise towards the bumpstop. However the O/S moves from upright away from the bumpstop in a clockwise direction - nowhere near the bumpstop! I hope the attached images show this. They are all viewed from the front of the car, O/S first 2 images.

Many thanks,

Tim

IMG_4646s.thumb.JPG.f24b410e8070f774fa96d220ff93d7cb.JPGIMG_4647s.thumb.JPG.e5fb931c5c3d1dfe254865e9745b098b.JPG4648s.thumb.JPG.577c4d14db54c672c634257f49f1c855.JPGIMG_4650s.thumb.JPG.60f8fa2fcdbb3c870e99dc0306b6a671.JPG

Dave,

The units are in fact handed, but with the arm on in the wrong position!! Everything appears correct except the attitude of the arm. Bizarre! I just wanted a few second opinions before pointing this out when I call them tomorrow - I hope.

Tim

Tim, I've had exactly the same problem previously ...with a reputable dealer - arm put on wrongly....it happens & it's not you.

Many thanks. Must have spent an hour looking at all configurations!!

Tim

• 1 month later...

Moving forward with this issue and my confidence is waning! The arm was incorrectly fitted and has now been rectified. When I got it back I stripped the basic paint job ready to apply something more durable. At this point I noticed that one unit was leaking and the other all six screws on the top were spinning with the vibrations while stripping the paint. The provision of spring washers on both units was random! I spoke with the contractor concerned and he apologised for the loose screws and explained that the washer provision was always a bit random even from the original manufacturer. Anyway, I sorted the leak and fitted spring washers throughout. Next painted the units and fitted to the chassis. Tried to 'work' the units and found that every now and then they would bind up and would not move to their full extensions. With some perseverence they would move, but very hard work. I returned the units to contractor who said that they were fine and that I should fit them to the car and after 50 or so miles on the road they would work themselves in. Problem here is that the car is about 12 months from being on the road. 

Should I fit the units and build the rear suspension up, put an internal spring compressor on the trailing arm and observe what happens or is the 50 miles on the road the correct thing to do. I feel that I should respect the advice of the expert but my confidence is a little dented at present! 

Any views, similar experiences etc would be very welcome!

Many thanks,

Tim

Tim.

I purchased a pair of TR3 rear dampers at last years NEC classic car show. There were reconditioned, & slightly uprated.  When I got round to fitting them I found them both rather strange in how they felt. they would move (with a fair amount of resistance) smoothly over some distance, then feel very rough, & much harder to move further. I raised this with the supplier, who claims to be one of the best Armstong unit repairers in the business, he described the feeling as if there was sand in the mechanism - which was a pretty good description.

His answer was that because all the valves had been renewed, that they needed bedding in, and to fit the units, and if they did not improve after 100 or so miles then he would take them back.  well he did know what he was talking about because they are just fine now.

Bob

I had telescopics on my TR and ordered reconditioned from NOSimport USA, they are fine but one of them looses some oil.

Some kind of scary was this: with the shock absorbers Peter sent me a religious comic.

This told me I finally will end at hell when I do not believe in Jesus...

hmm