Help electrics Cubby box & door switches

My car came with no door switches or cubby box/interior light fitted, I have 2 purple and white wires passenger side,  and 1 on the drivers, the interior light harness is also present but putting a volt meter on there is no power from any of these. Do the purple and white wires go to the switches? should I have power shown on the volt meter, all the other electrics are working ok and purple wires at the fuse box have power. 

Rob

Rob,

I'm no electrician, but yes the purple/white  wires are for the interior lights, etc. You do have the car lights turned on don't you? I don't think the door switch and cubby box/interior light will work without that. Sorry, if that's a bit obvious for you and I'm afraid my knowledge does not extend beyond that.

Dave McD

You don’t need the lights on. You should detect 12v on the purple and white wires if the courtesy light bulbs are present and sound. The bulbs are fed with permanent 12v by purple wires which connect via a fuse to the permanent live brown wires. If you dab the purple and white to earth the associated courtesy light should illuminate. 

Hi Robert

Purple and White are earth switching - so the cubby hole, doors  switches ground and centre console interior light switch -  this circuit switches  to earth i.e. the car frame. The interior lights have a +ve purple circuit ( always on i.e not switched by the ignition key) on one side and the other is attached to the purple and white ground circuit. 

Paul 

10 minutes ago, peejay4A said:

You don’t need the lights on. You should detect 12v on the purple and white wires if the courtesy light bulbs are present and sound. The bulbs are fed with permanent 12v by purple wires which connect via a fuse to the permanent live brown wires. If you dab the purple and white to earth the associated courtesy light should illuminate. 

4 minutes ago, pheaney said:

Hi Robert

Purple and White are earth switching - so the cubby hole, doors  switches ground and centre console interior light switch -  this circuit switches  to earth i.e. the car frame. The interior lights have a +ve purple circuit ( always on i.e not switched by the ignition key) on one side and the other is attached to the purple and white ground circuit. 

Paul 

Well, I did say I wasn't an electrician! Sorry.

Dave McD

Thank you all, I will attach the purple and white to the switches etc. and put a bulb across the interior light harness and see what happens, the purple wire on the light harness may have had no supply shown due to lack of earth? 

Rob

The purple wire should get its supply from the fuse box where it connects to a brown wire. Nothing to do with a missing earth.  Have a look at the fuse box. 

Have now put a bulb connected to the purple wire on the interior light harness and earthed it, it lit up ok, so I assume that without fitting an interior light joining the purple and purple and white wires this will supply power to the glove box light via the switch?

Rob

My mistake the purple/white wires all go to the switches as earths as Dave said but I do not have a purple supply wire for the cubby bulb so am I right in thinking I need to run a supply maybe from the interior light supply wire

Rob

Edited by Robert Price

Yes. Take a feed from the purple wire feeding the interior light to one side of the cubby light bulb. The other side of the bulb goes to the cubby lid switch and the other side of the switch goes to earth.