TR3A original bonnet

Camilo, Tom has a post 60,000 TR3A and apparently had an earlier bonnet that did not have the raised hinge plinths so he fabricated them so that the scuttle and the bonnet would match. Even with the factory bonnet for the post 60,000 cars it is not unusual for these plinths to crack due to stress and weakness from where they were pressed. They often need repair and using lead body solder is a good way to reconstruct them.

Stan

9 hours ago, foster461 said:

Camilo, Tom has a post 60,000 TR3A and apparently had an earlier bonnet that did not have the raised hinge plinths so he fabricated them so that the scuttle and the bonnet would match. Even with the factory bonnet for the post 60,000 cars it is not unusual for these plinths to crack due to stress and weakness from where they were pressed. They often need repair and using lead body solder is a good way to reconstruct them.

Stan

Thank you Stan. That is not my problem, though. I have a bonnet but somehow it appears to be of a thinner metal than the original and the suspicion is that it got swapped while in the paint shop. 

Hello Qim,

Nice to hear from you again.

You say your bonnet “appears to be of a thinner metal”

That makes it sound like you are not 100% certain.

I guess the first thing you need to do is make sure you are right and it would be interesting to find out the weight of your bonnet and compare it to the weight of a genuine bonnet.

Pretty easy to do with the help of a hooked spring balance, the sort used for checking your bags before you get on a plane, or maybe even bathroom scales, although they may not be accurate enough.

You never know, maybe you have an aluminium bonnet…. I guess that would be worth a bob or two…

Charlie.

Hi

Yes, I will try and weigh the bonnet. That's a good idea. But bear in mind that I had the same bonnet in the car since I bought it in 1977. It is now strange in a number of ways suggesting that it was replaced. One thing is that the corners near the windscreen tend to flop over the beading and touch/damage the wing, because they are very flappy, Never had that in over 40 years.