Decent Lucas C39 dynamo copy?

Hello all,

Time to get a replacement dynamo for my TR2's old Lucas C39.

Moss sell the GEU3101 copy of the Lucas C40, but it's unbranded, which doesn't fill me with confidence.

Has anybody fitted the GXE3101 unit, which is also a Lucas C40 replacement? Both Rimmer and Revington sell them. Rimmer describe it as being a Dynalite product, but Dynalite products are made by Powerlite, who say all Dynalites are alternators in disguise, and Revington is hardly glowing about the product: "Revington TR prefer to sell [... other products]".

So... has anybody any experience of a good quality, reliable, replacement dynamo -- an actual dynamo; not an overheating, rewire-mandating alternator in disguise! -- that they could be kind enough to pass on?

Apologies for the long post here!

Hi oxf2!  

I had my original TR2 dynamo rebuilt by Cox Auto Electics, along with the Voltage Regulator so they could be done at the same time.  That had the benefit of keeping my original parts, and generally the rebuilt original item is better than any repro.  Not cheap, but they are good.  On my other TR2 engine (Doretti), I am using a Moss replacement one, unbranded, and it has been good for a couple years so far.

Cheers

Dan

If one fits an alternator with a modest rating, say 35 amps, there's no need to fret about cooking the car's original wiring.

However, if fitting extra equipment, such as spotlamps, it's not a bad idea to avoid the current for these passing through the lighting switch  - see my article in TR Action 296 (March 2017).

Ian Cornish

I have an uprated Dynamo on my TR3a which puts out 35amps and is identical to the original but is still a dynamo. I had a regulator spec'd the suit. It is an off the shelf item that fits the original mounts, does not drop off like the small alternator conversions that every one seems to fit. I think it was about £70.

Pm me if interested 

Rod

Nothing wrong with an original dynamo, they are very easy to rebuilt and incredibly reliable, due to their simplicity.