Steering upper shaft

Having replaced the bushes in the steering column I was disappointed to find I still had a lot of play at the wheel. Hadn't realised how much the inner shaft had worn. Decided to silver solder shaft and have the local engineering shop machine back to spec. 

Really pleased with results. 

Edited by Mark69

Please don't take this as negative but how long will it last?

Is the silver solder is softer compared to the steel it replaced?

Mark,

Being a 3a owner with a one piece column I may be talking a load of bowlegs, but from what I remember on Heralds etc doesn’t the bush fit inside the tube part and have two circular “bulges” that fit into holes drilled in the outer tube for location?

If this is the case maybe it would have been easier to relocate the bushes an inch away from the original places so they rub on a new part of the inner column.

But maybe that is not possible.

Charlie

1 hour ago, Mike C said:

When I've had shafts repaired like this I get the shop to build up the shaft using  metal flame spray then machine it down. The cost is reasonable and the shafts last forever.

Anyone had this done in UK?

I think the silver solder repair outlast most of us. It is pretty hard, and higher strength than most other hard soldering techniques.

Cold spray can provide very hard wear resistant layers but the question is if this is required. Typically, the shaft is machined down locally a bit before spraying and this reduces strenght. Also if there is no smooth contour, there is a risk of crack initiation (it can break) and so I would prefer the soldering technique for this reason in this application.

Waldi