Fitting J Type OD conversion

Chassis stripped, strengthened and ready for rebuild. I'm planning to fit a J Type  OD to the 4A to replace the original non-OD box that was taken out. I'm aware of the differences of mating the J Type to the gearbox, but I seek advice on the changes needed to the chassis mounting bracket. I have been told that 1 option is to cut off the old brackets and replace with CTM alternatives (or similar), or that a conversion bracket can be purchased which bolts to the existing brackets, not sure if that's right tho. Grateful for previous experience on this

Many thanks

David

Yes, Ive seen those, some folk seem to think that there is almost no clearance with the solenoid, just looking for members experiences

1 hour ago, Tr4aJim said:

David,

I’ve toyed with the notion of fitting OD to my TR4a, so just curious, why did you choose the J type?

Jim

Hi Jim, As it happens I've been able to source one and the gearbox it belonged to...fully rebuilt, seemed like a logical option

David

It's very likely that Pete Cox and PeterW were involved in the development of that conversion bracket, so very little chance of it not working!

Ian Cornish

On 3/8/2019 at 5:05 PM, qkingston said:

Yes, Ive seen those, some folk seem to think that there is almost no clearance with the solenoid, just looking for members experiences

Yes the solenoid is very close to the chassis rail in TR2-3-4, but not in TR4A-6. 

Pre-Installation Checks:-

Be sure the propshaft fits the drive flange of the overdrive before you fit the thing in the car, plus be prepared for the speedo to read incorrectly. 

Check also the intended clutch plate engages the splines of the gearbox input shaft.  The Saloon car gearbox input shaft is smaller and will pass neatly into the TR clutch plate but no drive will be made.

Peter W